If its 4 am and you think you got a state record then what

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i was always wondering about this . and seen the thread about state records. and thought why not post it now. if i'm in the middle of the woods some were. and catch the nig one. what do i do ?? who do you call or what . does the fish have to stay alive until its officaly weighed. and who does that . i dream of holding one , one day. just like the everyone else..

2. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    very good question it would suck to have to kill a record fish just because you could not contact anyone. hope you get a response to this so i know to

3. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats a good question. I think you could call your local warden and have him come out to meet you. It would also help I imagine if you had a camera to take pics with. But I would really think that if you landed a state record that once you got the rough measurements and contacted the game warden that they would meet with you. Just guessing here so not sure.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Started a thread a while back about the same issue. Arm yourself now with all the contact info ya are gonna need to get it verified. Also know what the records are for the state ya are fishin in. Know and understand what the requirements are for submittin a new record. And understand that the fish you are lookin to submit pretty much has a snowballs chance in hell of survivein. That should do it.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Like BG said this subject has been discussed many times. Personally i would photograph the fish and release it if i thought they was the slightest chance of it dying. I am not a trophy hunter and don't need praise from others to be satisfied. In my mind every fish i catch is a trophy to be admired and released. Like George said being prepared is critical, but not a guarantee that the fish will live. Thank you for being concerned, that is the first step towards understanding. The decision is ultimately yours my friend.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The organization that certifies record fish in Ohio is the "Outdoor Writers of Ohio". There is an application form to fill out. The bad news is they recommend freezing the fish after having it officially weighed so it can be verified by a fisheries biologists. Their stance is that any record fish is most likely at the end of its life cycle and probably would not be caught again. If after all the process is complete, the fish can be released if still alive.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    makes ya wonder how happy he'd be if it wasnt the record when he gets out of bed at 4am.