If I disappear...

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    it's because my computer is on the verge of blowing up for good. I guess I will HAVE to get a new computer some how or another. Right now, I am on borrowed time with this unit. Gonna be mighty hard living without being able to check the river level gauge.

BB

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I know what you mean. Mine went down for about a week and my wife said I had to get another one because I was driving her crazy.:smile2: Keeps me out of her way.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Just don't be gone very long.Or we'll be worrying about U and have to send the search party out.Lets just hope it don't blow up on ya.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, it's thundering and lightning right now, and I'm thinking about hitting the river! :)

BB

5. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What seems to be wrong with your computer, Bill?

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It's VERY old, one of the first XP versions. It was a handmedown unit, and it's always been shaky to say the least. I had to replace the hard drive about a year ago, and it was fine for a spell. Unfortunately, grandkids, children, step children, wife, and others use my computer from time to time. I'm SURE they download all kinds of JUNK, and otherwise abuse my computer. People need to realize that PC is for PERSONAL computer, and NOT public computer. I hope to eventually get a lap top, so I can just keep it with me. I rarely have any computer issues when folks leave my computer alone!

Bill in SC

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i agree Bill when every one gets thear hands on your pc its a pain i hope you can get you a lap top you will engoy being able to sit in your easy char any wher in the house and not tied to a desk

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't mind the desk, Dallas, as this is my space and no one bothers me here. I actually prefer a desktop computer over a lap top, but my next might be a lap top due to the above mentioned reasons.

BB in SC

9. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    With so many people on your computer at once, it stands to reason that you've got a ton of malware that's eating up system processing power and generally screwing things up. Sometimes simply reformatting your hard drive and starting over from square one can fix all those problems. If you have the the installation disks, it should take you no time at all to do so and won't cost you a penny.

Also, it being an old version of XP shouldn't make a difference as long as you've gotten all the updates (SP1, SP2, and the slew of security hotfixes) from Microsoft. A couple extra gigs of memory would speed things up, and that's only $30-$40.

Then again, if you've got about $400 that you can stand to part with, you can get a fairly decent laptop that will meet your needs. A farily good computer isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Every time my two youngest grands spend a few days here, I have to go in and perform a clean-up; get rid of the programs and malware they've managed to download, not counting the 'myspace' contact emails. :wink:

11. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Hope U can get your computer straightened out. If U are like me U can't afford a new one right now. I had to replace a power cord and battery last week. Found them both at northparts usa a lot cheaper than dell.
    PeeDee Cat

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Paul, but my computer geek son in law already did something similar, and it is "fixed" for now. Found a worm in in.

BB

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One other thing to consider Bill is the power supply. The cost is minimum and sparked the old gal up big time! I was running slow. I did every thing known to man. Cleaning, downloading, adding memory and such to no appreciable effect. Then she just started shutting down on her own. I thought it was a virus, but it was a seven year old power supply.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, NMJ! Sounds like a thought to consider. I just let my geek son in law take care of me. When we found and eliminated the worm, it cleared up for now.

BB

16. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    u sead u found a worm in it, were u trying to fish with it on here or what? :0a28: just kding :smile2: try ed to be funny :embarassed: