If Daiwa ran for President they have my vote

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Jedi007, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    I bought a Daiwa 2500 Exceler reel about five months ago. It casts like a dream. I put that on a 8 ft Cabela rod and I have been having a great time fishing with it. Very Smooth and Long Distances.

Then the incident happened...like a Dink I took it fishing off of Newport Pier. I was having some problems with my drag so I started messing with the front drag knob and actually detached it from the reel. A word of advice to anyone who has never done this. DON'T.

One thing lead to another and all I can remember is seeing in really slow motion the front drag knob falling out of my hand...bouncing twice on the pier...(as I was saying to my self Oh no) and then it rolled off into the water.

Of course I had to look. It was very apparant that the front drag knob is not a floating piece on this reel. It was gone man...gone...

Well everyone knows the reel is practically a paperweight without the front drag knob. I searched online for one to no avail. I went back to Trader's Outdoorsman where I picked up the reel and the guy gave me Daiwa's number.

I called in and spoke to somepone in the parts department. He said the new ones were about $6.00 plus shipping but they had been back ordered for weeks. (Obviously I am not the only person to lose a front drag knob for an Exceler 2500)

He said he would drop a used one in the mail for me for free. I waited through Thanksgiving break for it while I was fishing with one of my other reels. It just wasn't the same. You know how it is when you are having problems with your favorite reel. It came in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to get back out fishing with it this weekend.

VOTE FOR DAIWA...as far as I am concerned, you can't beat that kind of service....

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey Jedi I have been mainly a Shimano man. I decided to try a Daiwa originally I was suppose to get the Laguna but they where sold out and ended up with a Daiwa Exceler 4000. I tell you I love this reel its so smooth. I did manage to land a large Carp with it so the "drag" had a good test. I wish they made the handle a little longer though and made them in larger sizes. I am glad they gave you a free drag knob. I am thinking about picking up another even though I don't need one that is how much I like this reel...

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used Daiwa equipment for years bass fishing. Never encountered a problem that the service dept. didn't solve. I no longer tournament fish and still own several of the Diawa reels. Into pass them on to the grandchildren. They are a good investiment. Good Luck.

4. Walsvault

Walsvault New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They got my vote too.I love Daiwa products
    :wink:

5. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    Daiwa Exceler 4000. I tell you I love this reel its so smooth. I did manage to land a large Carp with it so the "drag" had a good test. I wish they made the handle a little longer though and made them in larger sizes.

The Exceler 2500 is perfect for trout. I was thinking about buying a larger Daiwa Reel myself. What size carp did you catch on that 4000 reel? Thanks.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Nick, I'm not sure if you are aware of "sav-on tackle"..... Santa fe Springs Ca.....often mentioned in WON..... great tackle selection, and "authorized factory service" of many products.....lots of parts on hand....

bayrunner ray

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Jedi I didn't get to weigh her. I was without a net and some one suggested we try and left it out the water. (yeah right i new the line wouldnt hold). It was pretty large size. I know its hard to guesstimate but I would put it around the mid 20's. The drag on the reel performed flawlessly though.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have one Diawa reel. Lets see I bought it spring of 06 and it's starting to wear out already. It's one of them super tune model for bass fishing. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't do all that much bass fishing but when I do go It's on!

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have 2 Diawa reels. They are several yrs. old now and I've never had a problem with either of them. They have caught several large fish and are always up to the task.

10. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I fished with Daiwa reels many years ago. I quit buying them for 20 years due to unfortunate experiences with them such as when they first started making skirted reels I had bought a couple of them and they both just exploded in a shower of parts while i was fishing with them.
    Today I have 3 Daiwa Reels that I am satisfied with but I will never buy another Daiwa spinning reel. It's Shimano spinning reels for me.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The newer Daiwas are supposedly better.(spinning) From my conversations with other people I say they improved within the last few years. They do make some cheapies though just like any other manufacture. Theyre under let's say $50 reels arent as good as shimano's lower end.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll flat wear reels out when i'm fishing with them. So far though I have not been able to wear out my Tekota 600. This is the first reel that I have put to the test time and time again and can not wear it out. I'll let you know though I have only had it for 1 full year. By the way every reel company has gone though spurts where they where the best. I remember a time when shimano was not producing that great of stuff.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For a $60 reel I am impressed with the Exceler you have to go into the the 100 dollar range to get the same feel out of a Shimano. I have a few Shimanos and still like them they tend to be pricey though. Also Shimano's tend to use lower bearing counts than others. The general opinion when speaking to others is Daiwa's are smoother but Shimano's last longer. Daiwa recently upgraded their gearing on the spinning reels its called the DigiGear. Shimano just did the same but only on their higher end models. Anyone ever try a JDM Daiwa or Shimano I just bought a JDM shimano similar to one of my older reels....