If Anyone Knows of a Good Deal on Jon Boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Aug 28, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey Kansas guys, or even Oklahoma guys, if anyone knows of a good deal on a Jon Boat, let me know. I need one at least 12' and probably 14' would be best. No need for a motor, but a trailer would be nice. Wider the better. Needs to be able to handle me (245lbs) and brother (200lbs) and maybe two yong boys to fish out of. Just need a little help keeping eyes open out there.

Thanks!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jeff, a word of caution. When you talk of a jon boat, to me and a lot of others, your talking about the boats that are about 42" wide with 10" sides. I don't think these boats would support two peoplE of the size you mentioned. That would be around 450 lbs, then you still have the tackle, bait, soft drinks, anchors, etc which add weight. 450 lbs may be overweight for a 14' jon as it is. here is information about the Lowe jon boats..

http://www.lowe.com/press-center/pdfs/specs/fishboats/2006_Lowe_Jon Boats.pdf

3. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    i weigh 245lbs and my uncle maybe 160lbs, 14 jon boat= NO GOOD. Very unstable and sets real lowin the water. JMO

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    What the heck to big guys use to get around the smaller rivers and creeks then? I need something with a flat bottom, and enough room for us and all our stuff.

What would be some suggestions?

5. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Jeff, I found this ad but it is in Iowa. Dont know if it will help at all.

I have a 14ft camo jon boat for sale. Just bought new duck boat so i have no use for this boat. Boat is sturdy and no leaks. would be great for small ponds very light. $250

shoot me a PM for email address.

edited out Email address. jholl949

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jeff, I have a canoe that I'd love to watch you big fellow paddle around in:big_smile: .

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    They have boats on the style of a jon boat which would work. It is about 48 to 54 inches wide with about 18" sides. 16 to 18 feet long. Have to have a trailer as it is heavy. They use the boats like that here to make air boats out of. Hange a big chevy on the back of that and it goes. It would cost you a heck of a lot more than a regular jon boat, but I am sure you would walk away from all your fishing trips. Usually can't find one used, so your talking about new. Probably close to 2,000. Are you sure a fiberglass boat won't work? Tri-hulls don't have very much draft and you can pick up the boat, motor and trailer for prices starting about 500.00 and up.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Charlie, No thanks! I don't know if I am getting old or what, but that little 10' aluminum job scares the hell out of me now! I am OK by myself, but put little brother in there and you are only about 2" out of the water, and if anyone moves, I am white knuckled with both hands!!:crazy:

You know how hard it is to fish with both hands holding on to the side of the boat??:roll_eyes:

I know the boats you are talking about, they are just to darn big, and heavy. We have a 10' little Bass Scamp, but looking to take our boys out too. The bigger jon style boat with a trailer would work for us in some places, but the river we want to put it on does not exactly have a boat ramp anywhere on it. LOL

What kind of tri-hull are you talking about? I don't think it would work on the waters we need it for, there are places that are 6 or 8" deep, then 20' deep. I think I need something that does not exist.........:roll_eyes:

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

Stan, thanks for the ad, that is what I had in mind, only wish it was closer to home! Thanks anyway.

10. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Jeff, my father in law has an old tri hull that would make a great lake cat fish boat, just needs an out board, proablly sell cheap. includes trailer. I've considered doing it, but have 3 to many boats as it is.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Maybe you should consider a jon boat for each of you. This is getting on to the time of the year to buy...its not the same as having someone in the boat with you, but you could stay close enough together to talk and BS. May be the only feasible answer, seeing as how your so big. Always been a little squirt myself and wished I was bigger...guess there is drawbacks to that also. LOL

12. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Jeff, I have a 12 ft. jon boat, With me 260 and a buddy 160 its pretty unstable. We have still loaded it with gear and used it:crazy: but I don't recomend it in any kind of big waves...good luck

13. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Sorry that you aren't closer to Indiana, I've got a jon boat that I've been thinking of selling.14' 3 seater that has has moderinize has a trailer,2 fish finders new trolling motor and doesn't leak. Sorry Brother

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a boat with a modified hull,18 long 7 1/2 wide

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    trying to upload a picture I find the pic, click on upload and wait til it says done then post and nothing. No picture it tells me invalid file form.

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you may need a jet boat