idle boat start up

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by spark, Jul 17, 2009.

1. spark

spark New Member

State:
    Florida
    I've got a 150 hp Johnson on a 21 ft. aquasport. Due to health reasons, it sat in my drive way for about a year and half. Before I try starting it, I'm looking for tips on how to go about getting it back up and running. It had some fuel in it , but I don't know how much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. coler0kw

coler0kw New Member

State:
    ky
    YOU NEED TO GET THAT OLD FUEL OUT. IF YOU CANT DRAIN IT YOU WILL HAVE TO PUMP IT OUT. THAT OLD GAS HAS NO DOUBT SOURED BY NOW AND IS MORE WATER THAN GAS. PUT FRESH FUEL IN AND A HOTCRANKIN BATTERY AND SHE SHOULD FIRE UP. I WOULD USE MUFFS AND START IT AT HOME FIRST.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull plugs clean them squirt some TCW-3 oil inside and work the pistons over by hand on the fly wheel. Remove all fuel take the lines loos at the fuel pump that goes to the carbs. Take the little brass drain plugs aout of each carb and get you a can of sea foam and take a large syringe or something along that line and put enough sea fome through each carb until it runs out the brass plug.
    Reinstall brass plugs and put all hoses back together and insert the seafoam until you get the carbs filled. Let set for a couple hours and put the muffs on and start motor.
    Its gonna smoke and spit junk out the exhaust. Let it idle on muffs for a few min and then add some seafoam to your fresh fuel and put on water and run it like you stole it.