Idiots on Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wylie catter, Jul 9, 2007.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished Monty Saturday evening from around 2 till around 10 and I saw a couple of things that really bothered me. First there were two different boats pulling skiers out there. And one of them came up in a cove I was fishing and swung around about 50 yards away from me. That's the only lake I know of where skiing is illegal, and that's one of the reasons I like it. Second and worse is I had got my boat out of the water, and was strapping it down when I heard a boat flying up to the dock. It was DARK, and I had came into the cove real slow myself because there were about 6 boats anchored here there and everywhere within sight of the dock. Well I can hear this boat coming but I can't see it until he's all the way at the dock. The fool didn't have a single light on, and he was flying! Wait it gets worse. Once he's at the dock and I can see him, I see he's got 2 little kids and a woman in the boat with him. The little kids get out and they have adult sized life jackets hanging off their little shoulders, almost dragging the ground when they walked. Man, it made me so mad. The two little girls were probably 4 or 5 years old. He could have very easily killed them. Or made one of us accidentally run all up over top of them. That would be my worst nightmare to accidentally hurt a kid. And the guy had a nice boat too. It was about a 20' sea ark. Looked pretty new, I'm sure it had lights on it. Just too dumb or lazy to turn them on I guess. Where's a game warden when you need one.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    What do you expect when the only qualifications to operate a boat are enough credit to buy it!! :eek:oooh:

I see it all the time. My biggest fear on the water is the "other guy". I feel good that I will keep myself out of trouble, but the other idiots that are drunk and running without lights worry me.

3. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I think DNR needs to spend more time on the water after dark. The past 3 summers on lake hartwell I've seen the DNR out there virtually every weekend, but I have only seen them stay past dark once.

While writing people tickets for not having enough life jackets or not having proper registration is important; it just seems to me like they should put a little more effort into getting the idiots off the water who run down the lake at night with no lights on. We see it every weekend on hartwell. A lot of times it's sail boats coming back up the lake after dark.

4. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The skiers were there all day sunday. One boat came really close to me while i was fishing. I called DNR and asked the guy that answered the phone if it was legal for me to ski on moticello and he said no so i told him about the two boats flying around and he said that it wasn't much they could do because that was the power plants rule. I was alittle mad but chris blue said that dnr came down after i left.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yep we saw a toon pullin a tuber 2 saturdays ago and i'm like y'all...love monticello because skiing and jet skis are illegal...it's as close to a "fishing" lake that you can get...how is it that you can't get away with tossing a cast net but you can burn up and down the lake skiing and tubing...go figure.:angry:

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    about 2 a.m. sunday morning I heard something coming up the lake and couldnt find it till this dark bass boat flew by me with in 50 ft with no lights on.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    There should be a freakin license and an IQ test that you should have to aqquire to drive a boat.:angry: Thats the only thing that would help keep idiots off the water.

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I agree. They should make going to a class and getting a license part of getting your registration, and up the fines. I heard where virginia raised their fines for traffic tickets to well over $1500 for doing stupid things like 20mph over, $3000 for DUI, make it the same for the boaters that cant follow the rules, and are endangering others. I wonder if the DNR and Police on the lake know how much money they can make sitting out there at night and getting some of these people.

9. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    All its going to take is two dumb a$$es out there ruuning wide open with no s lights or in thick fog to get some body in alot of trouble. makes me want to take a sling shot and some buck shot to shoot at em if they wan to take chances like that.

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    get used to it becouse its like every thing else to many people so on average thear will be more idiots!!!!!!

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When someone dies things will change and thats the worst part.
    Bill

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree most of the time it takes a tragic accident before anything is done about it when if they would have done it earlier they could have saved some lives

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...When someone dies things will change and thats the worst part..."

The sad part is that too many have died already and nothing has changed. Norman and Badin both had fatal boating accidents already this year, and some folks on Wylie narrowly missed dieing when two boats collided in June in Allison Creek dumping a half dozen people into the water.

I am surprised the state governemnt has not realized they can make money off the licensing of boaters....

14. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    And I understand that there are not enough game wardens and cops to be everywhere, but something is needed. That guy having the kids on the boat bothered me more than anything. If he wants to kill himself that's his business. Stupid people do eventually kill themselves off, that's nature. Survival of the fittest (or smartest). But for goodness sakes leave the kids at home.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dieter, unfortunately I think the stance of the states would be that requiring a license to operate a boat would impede the use of public water.
    Just my guess.
    You know, it wouldnt be fair to those with lesser means kind of thing much like fishing license changes that came into effect this year.

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have to have a license to drive on public roads, so why not to use a boat on public waters. I know in Md if you were born after (I believe) July 1, 1971 you have to of taken a boaters safety course to operate a boat, It should be the same just to get registration. Also when I registered my boat I didnt have to provide anything about insurance, that needs to be a MUST. I know of a few that dont have insurance cause of the cost burdon.

17. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Lesser means is not what is the issue here it is lesser minds. Boaters safety courses are almost free. Inforcement should be a standard. You have to have a license to drive a car or fly a plane. You have to be certified to dive for goodness sake. But anyone can opperate a watercraft on public waters or atleast untill they hurt someone or themself. Why do we have to wait for tragity to see if someone if capable or competent to safely opperate a watercraft on public waters. Our Search & Rescue members have to certify and log hours with supervision before we let them opperate our watercraft. We have CWPs but I see alot more hurt or dead from boating than licensed public with guns.

18. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Plz no more insurance to pay. I am insuranced to death not to mention the taxes but as soon a they require you to have a liscense to operate a boat whatchout fellas. The fees will roll in.

19. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    boating courses and required boating liscenses are good ideas but we are all liscened drivers and there are plenty of idiots on the roads...there is not one day that you can turn on the morning or evening news and not hear of an accident on a local road or highway somewhere...most caused by carelessness or stupidty...and probably most are avoidable...boating courses and what not would probably help some but there will be plenty of idiots that will pass the course and still run without lights or whatever...people that don't care are always not gonna care no matter what the state requires them to pass...the responsible boaters have to be on the defensive every time you put your boat in the water...i know that ain't right but it is what it is...you gotta always watch out for the other guy and expensive courses, liscenses, and insurance ain't gonna help that.

20. helisbad

helisbad New Member

State:
    Darlington,SC
    my opinion...what will more laws do? you can pass 10,000 but if no one enforces them it is useless...the only solution i see is for you to make a citizens arrest or give the idiot a good scolding or get his license number and call DNR...that's whats wrong today everone wants to complain but no body wants to do anything...if this had been back in the Wild West days you could have just drawed down on him and ended it right there...