Identification Tags - what do ya'll use

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Eddie Mullins, May 26, 2009.

1. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive used my copper trap tags on'em. Old luggage tags work good too tied on the ends of the line. Jugs we write our name, info on white cardboard and stuff it in. Works great on the Mott's apple juice jugs.

Catpaw likes this.
  2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Name:
    Bob

3. Mosquito Creek Crawler

Mosquito Creek Crawler Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    Bump! I saw a place that sells aluminum tags that you could write your info on w/a ball point pen. The metal was soft enough to deform and leave a permanent impression. I tried a soda can, it worked, but the alum is a little thin. A lined, alum food container worked better, although I use a blunted prick punch vs a ball point pen. I have bags of cat food containers so I'll just cut strips out of those. Punch a hole for adding a SS wire loop to tie to.

Catpaw likes this.
  4. sli8

sli8 Active Member

State:
    MO
    I cut a metal "No Trespassing" sign up into 3" x 1/2" strips(and rounded the corners) with tin snips and wrote my conservation number on the back with a permanent marker. Been using the same tags for year with no problems.

5. Pixelfish

Pixelfish Member

State:
    you need to put your state in here
    Name:
    Cody Miller
    I use rectangular sections cut out of a soda can and I hole punch a corner. Write on it with a ball point pen and it embosses your info on it. No need to worry about the ink fading. Toss them in the trash when the date expires. Cheap, simple, easy.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i just cut a small noodle into 4 to 5 inch lengths and write my info no to them tiie on limb above my line works as a marker for the line to.same with noodles and jugs i just write on them.

R. D. Hilton and Catpaw like this.
  7. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    South Central Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    I read online somewhere to use a ID tag for livestock ears. Seems like a pretty solid tag, can just slip it onto your mainline.

Matt

8. Hurst11

Hurst11 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Nathan Hurst
    I have seen the cattle ear tags work well. The best thing to use to write on em is get a paint pen like welders use for marking on pipe. White tags use black paint pen and it won’t wash off They last a long time Can carry a lot of em on a string

pikeintheboat likes this.
  9. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I am sure you probably read this but I think the Issued ID number is your fishing license number. That way you don't have your name and address on the tag.

A trot line (also called a set line or throw line)
    is a fishing line with smaller lines attached to it that extends into the water from a fixed point, such as a boat dock or tree. You may fish with no more than one trot line at any one time. The trot line must have no more than 50 single- or multi- barbed hooks. Each drop line on a trot line may have only one hook. Trot lines must bear a read-able tag showing the name and address of the user, or the DNR-issued Customer ID number. Trot lines must be checked at least once every 24 hours. It is illegal to use a trot line in Lake Michigan or within 300 yards of any partial or full dam structure located on any stream, river, ditch, canal or reservoir.

pikeintheboat likes this.
  10. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Zinc trap tags are the way to go. I've had mine on my jugs for many years and you can still read them, as the pen or pencil embosses the writing into the tag. They are pretty cheap and the zinc will not rust or corrode.

Brackish*Water likes this.
  11. hillman

hillman Active Member

State:
    MO.
    Name:
    David
    I use PVC Pipe and Noodle Floats. Just put my Conservation number on them. Problem is unless it is marked out no one else can use them.

hillman