Identification Tags - what do ya'll use

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Eddie Mullins, May 26, 2009.

1. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm about to start making some lines / jugs and will confess I have used them in the past without tags :crazy: , but want these legal as they will be transported and used in at least two states.

Yoyo's I have seen people write directly on them with a permanent marker, so no big delimman there... Jugs/noodles I think I should be able to write on them also, but for trot lines, I've never actually seen one that was "tagged" . .

Just wondering what was typically used trot lines , limb lines, etc...

2. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I just take grey duct tape and right the info on it with a black permanent marker. Then I pull off trice as much tape and fold it over the line and stick it together.

I seldom have lines out for more than a weekend at a time. I have never seen the water wash the marker off of the tape.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I take an empty milk jug and cut it into tags and then write my info on them with a sharpie marker and punch a hole in one end or both ends with a hole punch and then hang on the end of my line.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin thanks for sharing a cheep and effective idea.

5. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    for trotlines the best way to mark them is to make one of your weights the mark take an old bleach jug fill with concrete and write the info on it works great and gives ya the perfect first weight on the line

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No doubt Mickey ...Kevin thanks thats a good one and simple nuff I aint never seen that or thought bout it OH YEAH !

7. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i took a piece of sheet alluminum and cut my tags out of it and used my letter punches to put my info on them have had them for years

8. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Several god ideas here! as always, this site hasn't disapointed me yet!

Not sure which I'll go with, but I have options and some other ideas of my on now.

One thing for certain is, I need to get a few permanent markers.

9. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've used copper trapping tags. Sometimes the magic marker on tape or other items will become hard to read. Copper tags are durable and easy to read. Trapping magazines or trapping supply stores would be a good place to start.

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do the same just with bleach jugs, oil jugs and detrgent jugs the plastcs a lil thicker and tuffer

11. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I've had the permanent marker wash off duct tape and milk jugs.

So, I have started writing my info a piece of paper, then I use clear shipping tape to tape the paper on both sides.

It is waterproof, cheap, and durable.

12. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    depends on the brands of markers... I've never had the Sharpie markers wash off.

13. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I just went online and bought regular trap tags. I think it was 20ish for 200 tags. Easy and cheap!

14. simpsonese

simpsonese New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll take a pill bottle and just print my info off and put it in the bottle and then stuff some string in it and place the lid back on.

15. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas

Cant' do that in Arkansas... has to be visible.

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago when I worked at Bethlehem steel,,, they had a stamp machine that made metal tags to identify parts,,,,I made myself up a bunch of those tags...about 3" x 5" stainless steel,,, I have them on big snap swivels,,,, they work great.

17. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I work in a office where I have access to a number of 3-ringed binders. They often come with a heavy, white or opaque plastic liner to keep pages from sticking to the inside cover of the binder. I cut these into 2X3" rectangles, punch a hole in the corner, write on them with a permanent marker, and use them for anything that needs to be tagged (trot line, minnow trap, limb line, etc.). The writing stays on for a very long time.

Ralph

18. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    I do this, and put it in a Gatorade bottle and fill it with water ALMOST to the top. That way, I can still find the jug if I don't remember EXACTLY where it is, and at the same time, its not REALLY visible.

The tags last in the water for a week or a little more.

Vector

19. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do this also. I use 1 x 2 5/8ths mailing labels and print all the info on my computer. I put them around the PVC pipe on my noodle jugs and use the clear boxing tape to keep them dry.

This seems to work well.

drd

20. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had a bunch of name tags made up kinda like the military dog tags and used them, but I like Kevins idea and it's much cheaper:wink: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!