Ideas on Jug Lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by TexasTerry, May 28, 2008.

1. TexasTerry

TexasTerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    Would like some advice from some of you fellas out there on the best way to make jug lines. Thanks in advance for your help. TexasTerry:big_smile:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    teery

welcome to the boc ,we hope that you will enjoy us. there is a whole lot of information here to learn from.

check this out www. texasjugliners.com and maybe it will help, good luck

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Check out the library Terry. Lots of info there. Once you get 10 posts you'll be able to use the search function. Just search for jugs.
    Welcome to the BOC.
    just

4. TexasTerry

TexasTerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    Appreciate your good advice, sure is coming in handy. I love this site, friend at work told me about this site. So keep in touch fellas, lok forward to hearing from ya! By the way, my name's Terry & pleased to meet ya.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    welcome to the boc.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Terry! Lots of different ways to build jugs, and generally speaking, each way has its advantages and disadvantages. Consider such things as: how far away will you need to be able to see your jugs; freefloating them, or anchoring them; will you be using them on a river, in a cove, on a small lake, or on open water in a large lake. If I'm not mistaken, sport jugs in Texas are required to be ALL white.

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Welcome to the BOC Terry. You've found the best place in the world for catfish and some of the greatest people.

8. TexasTerry

TexasTerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    I did have some 2liter bottles i made up, we were juggin this evening on lake granbury where i'm at. got a hit on one,it was hard as heck to hold onto that bottle & drag that sucker in. a friend here told me that he uses ole bleach bottles. think i might try that. but we have a pretty big lake here that empties into the brazos river. but mainly i'll just be here on the lake is all. & thanks for the welcome, you've made a friend for life in texas!

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Try liquid laundry soap containers.
    They come in colors. They are also larger than bleach containers.
    have a good one
    just

Oops forgot the all white rule. Maybe you could paint them.

10. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. I like to use the flagging noodles . They take up alot less space and the kids love to watch them stand up. There is definately no guessing if you have a fish or not. Go to the library section and look up flagging noodles. There easy to make and fun for kids and kids at heart to watch'em flip up and run. I like circle hooks 4/0 - 8/0 or the kahle hooks in the same size. You need a long stick with a hook on the end to grab your noodles if you get a really big one cause they will run hard and fast and pull it under when the boat gets close but they won't stay down long. They can do that with 2litre bottles as well. There are hundreds of tips in the library check it out.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    when i made some i took 32 oz gatorade bottles. there easily found on construction sites where i work lol.

i drill a small hole in lid. run some mason twine, "like used to string up cement forms and align fences" and run 8-10' of twine in bottle. i used a washer to set depth. just tie a slip knot to washer with the depth of twine and run it through cap till washer hits. tighten on cap tight. then rig with hook bait.

then when done open cap pull string to hook and tuck twine in bottle and screw on cap. string stores in bottle.

i paint mine red.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Terry, you'll probably find some folks who disagree with me, but the first thing I tell newcomers in my boat is that you don't hang onto the jug when the cat makes a run. Drop the jug and let it fight the fish. Why? In jugfishing, there's no way to 'set the hook', so the fish is often hooked very lightly. I can't begin to tell you how many 20#-30# fish I've had on for just a few seconds, only to feel the 'tunk' that means the hook just pulled loose. It's not always possible, but if you'll 'finesse' the cat in, rather than fighting it in, you'll land quite a few more fish. For the same reason, never use the jugline to lift a fish into the boat if you really want to keep it...unless your partner is holding the net under the fish to catch it if it falls off the hook.

13. samiam

samiam New Member

State:
    tennessee
    this is some real good advice.
    i tie a 5 oz weight on mine with a foot longer leader that what the hook is on. this keeps the hook from getting hung on the bottom.

14. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas

gonna go look into these if they what i think they are am in process of buildin some

if not the ones i buildin are 1/2in pvc 18 in long with 9 in rebr inside capped on both ends, with pool noodle on outside when hit or fish the pvc stands up

terry i lookin to run some tonite infact maybe me and coworker thinkin goin out in a 3rd coworkers boat and do some sand bass fishin and i hope to set some jugs while we out

look me up i drive the green/silver ext cab chevy with light bar with all the fishin stickers in the back and 14 ft jon boat, sure u seen me somewhere lol

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  16. TexasTerry

TexasTerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll be damned! you fellas do give good advice here!LOL Hope everybody is doing ok. Will for sure be using some of the advice you fellas have given me!!!

terry