Ideas on converting 5 speed trolling motor to variable speed?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by nevets91, Sep 19, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    im thinking of converting my 5 speed foot control trolling motor to a variable speed trolling motor. my idea was to wire in some type of variable resister in the the speed one wire, either a Rheostat or a potentiometer and mounting it top the foot contol so i can get those slower speeds.

what are yalls thoughts?
    has anyone on here done this? i know some one has had to do this before and i think it should work. any input would be great

2. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    Look for a pulse width modulation (PWM) circuit with a high enough amperage rating for your trolling motor.That is the only correct way to vary the speed in a D.C. motor. Minn Kota made a stand alone maximizer unit ( PWM ) in the 1980's. Hard to find, saw it on ebay for $100. Thats crazy.
    I wanted to do this too. Too difficult, expensive. I decided ( after 6 months of searching) to use a " Big Foot " trolling motor switch. Have to be good enough. Search with Google. Let me know if you come up with something, I'll use it too

3. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I wonder if a dimmer switch like they use in a chicken house would work.:confused2: I'am not sure just an idea

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    yeah i got the idea from a dimmer switch cuz its basically the thing but the trolling motor will pull way to much current for a dimmer switch to handle so i have to find something that will handle the current and is also affordable