Ideas on boat cabins

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by fishingbuddy4, Dec 8, 2007.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I am looking to build a removable cabin for my boat ,I am thinking about plexiglass but wanting to get pic and ideals that other members have tryed

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    got some ideas..... need to know what size and type of boat you have.....

bayrunner ray

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    It is a 17.5ft tracker It was a pro crappie ,but most of the stuff is out of it and its a tiller steering now

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Been considering that myself for my bassboat, I am thinking maybe a modified "sleeper unit" off of a crashed big truck.
    I have not checked the weight yet but, gutted and cut down and cut out(front door, windshield, side windows, they are already open in the front that would be the back on a boat), it just might be the ticket.

A major plus is that often they can be had for free or little at the Mac Truck dealer's body shop.

Now, if I just had an inboard so I could run some heat....

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Years ago in a boating magazine I saw an article and photos showing how some guys built a simple removal cabin for their 16' V bottom aluminum boat. I looked awhile ago and couldn't find the article.

If I remembered correctly the sides were just clamped to the boat's top rails and extended towards the bow about 8 '.

I did find a photo of a REAL SIMPLE cabin for a boat, but doubt if it would be easy to remove...unless you smoke! :smile2::smile2:

Bill

Attached Files:

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    talk to steve brown his enclosure is awsome and removable and very fishable friendly. and u would be able to put it on and off byourself unlike using heavy plexy glass. the place where these are made is in warsaw now they will custom fit everything to fit your boat.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Look at the PIC of the chinese shanty.The round shape is the least wind resistant shape for the hight to withstand a broadside gust.

In my youth,folks got out on the bank and out in the bad weather when in a Shanty Boat in a blow even though most were tied up in sheltered waters.Most Shanty Boats in my lifetime were destroyed by storms.Not all,but most.This is the reason so many Shanties end up drug up and anchored down on shore or built on and secured to pilings.Safe cabin boats are built from the ground up with the shelter in mind in the design.

Check out your small boat plans from the United Kingdom on line.Small boats with shelters are very popular over there and people have been traveling and camping in some tiny ones for many years.

The safest shelter for "a watercraft" is a tent that will give and even collapse before the boat will capsize.Topside shade and shelter canvas has been used on small fishing & sail craft to Naval vessels and most was rigged to give in a sudden blow and to be removed when possible or not needed.

Let us know how things turn out.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Another idea to consider...and let's hope it's a better idea than my last one!

I once made side, front, and back enclosures for the Bimini top that was on my pontoon boat. It then did a good job keeping the rain out. It took about 5 minutes to put up. If I had wanted to operate the boat when the covers were installed, I would have had to make some plastic windows.

Here is a photo showing a Bimini top I had just installed on an old fiberglass fishing boat I was restoring a couple of years ago. You can see that it wouldn't be too hard to add whatever type enclosure you would need.

Bimini tops are bolted to the boat with only two bolts, so are very easy to remove. You can also install sliding mounts so the location of the Bimini can be adjusted fore and aft.

Ain't that the ugliest boat you have ever seen?:embarassed:

Bill

Attached Files:

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "..withstand a broadside gust."

Good point young man!
    Something to consider.

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Thanks to all ,really dont want to spend alot .scott i like your ideal of steves boat ,i like that cabin too,most likely i will go with plastic ,working on plans today.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Your welcome! Of course you know what we expect in return....

Guided, all expense paid trips to all your secret spots!! ...... Or pictures of your project! Whichever you are more comfortable with.:wink:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes Bill, I believe that it is!:smile2::eek:oooh:

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Interested in seeing your progress as you go along, I have about the same type of boat and this has been a thought for a while, wife wants to go with a toon, but I'm not really liken that much......
    Randy
    All the comfort of home! WELL most anyway :wink:

14. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Depends on how fancy a unit you want.
    Used to be a boat around here that had what i thought was a pickup topper on it. Aint seen it for a while but I've been off the river for several years.
    good luck
    just

15. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    If you make it over to missouri ,give me a call ,i share my hot spots ,well head out to them.

16. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I saw a carolina skiff that a guy had built a real fine cabin on i will try to attatch a photo. Be happy to send more photos and describe the contruction.
    PM me.

Attached Files:

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    ^^^Schweeeet!

Very nice job.