Ideas for modifications on a bass boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by ninrugger, Jul 20, 2007.

1. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    hey guys and gals, i just recently purchased a used 20 foot bass boat and was wondering what ideas you can come up with for modifications. i would have bought a flatbottom, but my fishing time is split 50/50 between cats and everything else. i needed something that could run shallow, handle choppy water decently if the wind picks up, and was comfy.

i know i need to put rod holders on it, but i'm not sure which ones. it's a tournament style boat so if a mounted them to the floor or the gunnel, they would be about ankle height. not so much of a problem if the rod handles weren't so long. any ideas on that? also, any ideas on what to add?? any, and i do mean ANY ideas would be great.

thanks for your time :)

nin

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Build you some sort of rack across the back of the boat..You fishing rivers or lakes??

3. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    rivers mostly, has anybody tried makin' a rack out of PVC??

4. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Try checking the library, usually lots af good ideas in there.

5. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    yup i've looked in there, but not everyones ideas are in there, just thought there might be a few things out there to try out or stuff i haven't thought about yet.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I remember seeing one a while ago on here that had been made out of PVC. I would personally use wood or metal or a combination of both before I'd use PVC. I would just feel better about loading it up with expensive combos. I happened to have access to a welder so I made mine out of aluminum.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    BTW, I know Cabelas makes extensions for their rod holders. I think another company did as well, I just can't find them right now.

8. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    yeah, i saw those extenders too, 10 bucks a piece for those buggers....i was thinking about running 2 inch pvc across the back, and have it a foot high. then run a board over the top and attach that to the pvc so i have a flat mounting surface and it would add a little stability. the only thing i'm wondering about is what to use to mount it to the deck. something like a four hole mount bracket. i don't know if they make those for pvc or if i'm going to have to go metal on those. is there anything else besides rod holders that would be nice to have on board?

9. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    MY BUDDY BUILT ONE OUT OF METAL IT HAD 3 ROD HOLDERS ON IT ,HE MADE IT WHERE IT WOULD SLIDE IN THE HOLE WHERE THE SEAT ON THE BACK DECK GOES ,THAT WAY HE COULD REMOVE IT EASY IT WORKS VERY WELL:tounge_out:

10. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have seen some pics of Tim Hagens boat. He has a good looking pvc set up across the back of his boat. I believe he is a river fisherman as well.

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that looks like a great idea