Ideas for a large removable livewell

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Grits, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Hello Fellow Catfishermen

The live well in my boat is not very big. In normal fishing, it is no big deal. I throw everything back except a few small one to eat and those get iced.

I do plan on fishing some tournements next year and I will need, I hope, something that I can safely keep a few big fish. My boat is a Key West 19' center console. It has a self bailing cockpit so the drain would be no problem. I have a good way to pump filtered water into the tank. Has anyone rigged up anything similar to what I am describing and if so, how?

Thank you for you help and suggestions.

Grits

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I didn't look at the price, i just wanted to give him the idea of what i was talking about, and thats the fastest picture i could find.....you're right, that is VERY expensive, and i personally wouldn't pay that much either.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I went to a tournament this summer and, since I was interested in portable livewells myself, checked out all the boats after the tourney was over.
    The one I liked the most had 6 large coolers as live wells. Don't know how much that guy had invested in coolers , they were all the same,but it was portable, kept the fish alive, and was insulated.
    I have 2 coolers in my boat. One for my catch and one for bait. Both were someones throw aways btw.So OK I'm cheap.
    I still have room for one with the refreshments.
    Hope this helps

have a good one
    just

5. ohiorivercat

ohiorivercat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use a 75 gallon version of delta packer tool box it is easy to set in and out of the boat by myself and does a good job i have 2 sources of oxygen going to it heres a like to see what kinda box i use
    http://www.jlsmarine.com/storagechests.htm

6. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

rig it with a drain hole in the lowest point of the bottom. set it up with what is called a stand pipe. basicaly fit a pipe into the drain hole facing up. this pipe is cut at the depth you will need(just enough to cover the gill plates of your target species). then get a spray bar kit and run your incoming water thru the spray bar.your limiting factor would be to size your stand pipe,drain hole(bulkhead fitting) and all the drain lines(if any) big enough to allow water drainage at a rate equal to the pump rating(or it will overflow). set up this way you should be able to nearly pack that tank full of fish!

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The ideas above are great, but since you've got a way to continually pump fresh water into the tank, I see no reason to worry about insulation to keep it cool, or any method of adding oxygen to the water. You're going to be replacing the water before it can get hot or get low on oxygen. Given that, it seems like a 55-gal. plastic drum would be your answer. I made one like that by cutting the drum in half, then cutting slits up the side of one half. By bending the sections made by the slits out just a little bit, that half would fit over the other half, making a top. Rig the overflow like Goldenshinner suggested, and run pvc or plastic tubing from the outlet to the back of the boat. Letting it run across the deck might make it slippery.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Having seen many solutions to this problem I am grateful my 21ft Triumph has that beautiful storage compartment built into the floor.Already had a drain,rigged a line from the bottom outlet of the 1100gph baitwell pump added an over the side drian so it wouldnt overflow Voila.OK thats my good luck.The two most common solutions are the large cooler,or the aluminium stock tank.Both can be had relatively cheap and offer workable remedies.The stock tank is common to pontoons and needs a cover, did I say watertight cover,to work ,otherwise in rough water you lose!!!!:big_smile::crazy:The coolers also work if rigged with flow through water.As Jtrew points out no need for oxygen etc if you run the pumps continously.MAKE sure your battery capacity will support this.Full time operation will drain one right quick leaving you and your paddle with more than enough time to establish a long term relationship.:smile2::wink:For center consoles I would choose the cooler because it is flat and can be secured easily.You dont want 500lbs of water and fish flying about when the waves are 3-4 ft high.The additional weight will also dramatically alter the handling characteristics of your boat regardless of type.I also wouldnt just drain the water through the scuppers. Having that large cooler up front will also reduce your usable space and manuever room.I would make sure the coolers had a very good latch because I have seen one bounce open which is very entertaining particularly from the fishes perspective.Nothing like humans trying to recapture very slippery fish all trying to make it over the side while battling the waves in front of the dam at Santee with a 20mph wind out of the west. :smile2::big_smile::roll_eyes:I assume the waters in ARKNASAS also get rough as they do in ARKANSAS.LOL!!!!!

9. cjuvinall

cjuvinall New Member

State:
    georgetown illinois
  10. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i use a hundred and 110 gallon stock tank an 1100 gph pump to fill and another to circulte and pump out . that way i add fresh water at the same rate when i change the water out and if need you can and a filter system . i also have threesprayer heads . it works for me will post pic as soon as i can get some .

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105802
    theres the link to one i made. its out of a cooler on wheels. dont know how big a fish it holds but it keeps bait alive. up to 25 bluegills weve had in it with no problem whatsoever. never put anymore in there cuz 25 was all we caught.