Ideal spincast setup?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nralover, May 14, 2007.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Hello all- new to the board:) My question is- what would you recommend in a spincast setup to handle general catfishing? My favorite lake does have a few 15-20 pounders in it, so I want to be able to handle them if i hook up with one. Any suggestions would be appreciated..... NRA

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    First let me say welcome. I have a catfish set up I use. It is a 7' ugly fish cat rod, and an optix spin reel. I bought it with the same intentions you're talking about. For most of the fish I catch it is a little overkill. However, when I hook a good cat, or salmon, I am quite pleased. If I had to buy it again, I would probably go with a 7 or 8ft standard ugly stick and a down sized Akuma reel. We don't get many fish over 20lbs around here,but, I am ready for them.

Rich

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Quantum Big Cat Rod with an Okuma Coronado Baitrunner and I'm thinking of selling this set up because I'm switching to baitcasting if interested send me a P.M.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC! Sounds like these fellas know their stuff. For just lake fishing, a 7' ugly stick would be hard to beat. Don't ask me about reels because I just use what comes with the combos. Can't afford the good stuff.

5. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Fellas, thanks for the advice. Actually though, I was inquiring about push button reels. I have nothing against spinning or baitcasting setups and I use both, but would prefer a push button reel for catfishing...

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jay,

Your basic Zebco 33 or 808 or 888 should be able to handle most cats below 15 lbs. As long as you aren't trying to cast the distance of a football field and aren't trying to use line heavy enough to be put on the winch of an ATV, you should be fine.

7. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Maybe an 808 would be just the ticket:) I have a Zebco Omega which seems to be built like a tank though, I suppose that is an option as well. It seems like alot of folks underestimate what fishing equipment can do- on several occasions my wife and I have been bluegill fishing with some Zebco 11's (4 pound test), and brought in some channel cats in the 3 to 4 pound range. If you think the Omega won't suffice, perhaps I'll grab one of those big honkin' 808s. I think I saw them at Wally World for around 30 bucks, and could pair it with a Berkley Big Game rod... what do you think?

8. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Abu Garcia Abumatic 275 reels are pretty good for the money. Cast a mile, too.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ooops.:big_smile: I was confused by the title of Ideal spincast setup. Not much into push button reels, but those Rhino combos look ok to me. I think they are zebco???

10. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If most of your fish will be under 15 lbs, I'd go with a Zebco Platinum 33 on a 6' ugly stick. It will handle the bigger fish if you catch one, and give you a lot of fun with the smaller ones.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jay Welcome to the BOC. I think TDawgNok has got you covered in this post. One of these should do the job for you. I have a friend that has several 808 and loves them. Good luck on your choice and I look forward to your post.:lol: :big_smile:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Jay I would remend a Zebco 733 or 808 for catfishing.

13. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The Berkley Big Game or the Ugly Stik are both great rods, however I do prefer the Shakespear Synergy reels over the Zebco's. Just my two cents worth.

14. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Welcome! I used Zebco 808's for years and they would work just fine. I also have Rhino RSC5 that I really like, would also fill your needs!

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    808 or even a 33 .. Change the Line on either you get. Back when I used em, First thing I always did was strip the line and put on some Stren 17#... Caught alot of decent fish on my 33's.. Still use a couple for White Bass Fishing because they cast a country mile with very little effort...

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Take a look at the Shimano Baitrunner reels, high quality reels that (if taken care of) will last a lifetime. As far as the rod, well just find the action your comfortable with.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I somehow acquired a zebco 808, and while it's definitely stouter than the smaller zebcos, I'd hate to chance trying to land a 15# cat on it. Jay, I know it's more comfortable to stay with what you already know, and learning to cast a revolving spool reel can be really intimidating, but open face spinning reels are easy to learn to use. I start my grandsons out with a pushbutton reel when they're about 4; by the time they're 6 or 7, they've switched over to open face.
    Open face spinning reels have a number of advantages over pushbutton reels:
    1. They hold more line; large models hold a LOT more line.
    2. You can cast much further; that closed face really creates a lot of drag.
    3. The drag systems are much better on open face reels than closed face. When I throw a closed face reel away, it's always been because the drag froze up, and I won't let the kids use a reel with no drag.

I've found that braided superline works better than mono on an open face reel, and I suspect that it would work better on a closed face too.

18. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Actually, I use both spinning and baitcasting. I have a Pinnacle Matrix Metal spinning reel, and a Shimano Citica baitcaster. I was merely interested in a pushbutton, as the wife might frown on another pricey reel. The Zebco for 30.00 is easier to explain than another wallet buster:)

19. Rogue

Rogue New Member

State:
    US Louisiana
    Daiwa silvercast series model 170 bearings and outdoor life voted best spincaster on the market today I own two cant beat them ,even the line guide has a bearing on it

20. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    cant go wrong with a ZEBCO 707. i used to use those when i was a kid and they worked great for cats. they are pretty big and can handle alot of pressure. now that i am using spinning gear i dont have any need for them, but i would definatley recommend them to people i know.