Ideal Rod and Reel Setup?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Nessie, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What do you guys consider the "ideal" rod, reel and line setup for fishing the Mississippi for blue cats? Right now we are using Quantum Big Cat rods with Abu Garcia 6500 reels. Do any of you use Cabela's King Kat rods or the Bass Pro CatMaxx rods? Any thoughts on those?

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I use Catfish Safari Rods with Shimano Tekota 600's. They are the perfect setup for me. I used to use the Catmaxx rods. Good rods, but the ceramic eyelets won't hold up to braid for very long.:wink:

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    ditto on the eyelet problem.

I am torn between the surge elites and CS rods. There are a lot of people using both and they are both catching some pigs on em.

I see steve lurking down at the bottom I am sure he can give ya some insight on his rods.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I vote Catfish Safari

5. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i use catfish safari and surge rods they are both very good, i also have a st croix catfish rod but they dont make them anymore. one of my favorite lite bite rods is a pete mania muskie rod it has plenty of back bone for big fish. as far as the catmaxx go they are very stiff if the fish are just slammen the bait its not bad but for a lite bite its not my rod of choice. just my 2 cents

later
    slider

6. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    My vote is for Catfish Safari rods and I fish surge as well. I like the abu 7000's they hold enough line and seem to have a good drag. They are a little pricey but they make a left handed version for us backwards fisherman. I spooled mine with 80 lb power pro but now I am leaning on switching back to 40 lb ande mono. I like the power pro for up at the dam but I don't find myself up there that much anymore.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hmmmmmmm..........:smile2:

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh, I forgot reels. I like the Abu 7000ic3, hold lots of line, plenty of torque and a good drag.

Buy em at Cabelas for $119.00, go to BP and you are forking over $149.00:crazy:

9. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    reels 310gti penns and 320lds love em

10. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.

ANYONE LIKE THE ZEBCO 202?

11. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    houseboat reels love em:smile2:

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use the same setup as Gary, except I fish the Missouri river.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hey Josh, When are you and Brad gonna take a roadtrip over here? The fishing rocks right now.:cool2:

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    hopefully soon, I would love to get out there on the mississippi with Ya all!!!!

BTW My vote is for a Catfish Safari River Rod and Abu 7000iCS Pro Rocket

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have 3 Surge Elites set up with Abu Garcia 7000i's. I love em! Haven't had the pleasure of trying a Catfish Safari rod yet, but I would like to have one on the boat for a while to try it out.

16. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    There are two floating around the club right now, we have a flathead rod and a river rod. Just make sure the guys bring them to the meeting on the 30th and grab one.

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Yeah, who does have that river rod right now????????? I would like to give it a shot!

18. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I am not sure, but if you ask one of the officials they should have it written down. I thought Willie had one but I can't be for sure.

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    My buddy Keith has the river rod. Cuz gave it to him after the April 5th toiurney, and I forgot to get it from him for the last meeting. I'll see what I can do to get it back.:wink:

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I use 7ft Ugly Stik Tiger Rods in med heavy. On them, I have Abu Garcia 7000c3's with Power Pro 80 lb.

I like this setup so well, I have 6 sets. Well, one ain't a c3. LOL