Idea For Quick Hookup to Boat Trailer

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fish, Jul 16, 2007.

1. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Someone may have already thought of this idea before but I haven't seen it. I have always had trouble lining up my hitch ball to the boat trailer coupling so I thought a mirror mounted on the tailgate of my truck might work for me. It works great and I hit the coupling just right every time now. Here are a few pictures of how I did it. It is somewhat crude but I am into function here and it is quick and simple to make. I did cut the slot that fits over the tailgate a little bigger so I could put a piece of pipe insulation over the wood to keep from scratching the tailgate.

Attached Files:

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Here is one more picture.

Attached Files:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hey Jimbo if you could get Judy to learn to drive a little slower you wouldn't have trouble hooking up:smile2:

I like that mirror idea. And that tail gate and mail box looks familiar.
    I see you have that boat tarp ed down. Good for you.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's a good idea you came up with. If I remember right,I think I seen something in the Camping World catalog a few years back about a mirror that fastened over the tail gate of a pickup truck to help align the hitch on your truck with the trailer coupler. As I recall it was a round mirror that was about 6-8 inches in diameter.

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    That'a a good idea Jim but I don't need a mirror to see my hitch I just open the back hatch on my van.

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Willard, I don't want that baby to get wet. It has been a while since you have seen that mail box. You and Donna come on over and we will hit the river here soon. The skips are running like crazy at Nickajack right now.

Gordhawk, I hadn't seen anything like that but if I had I sure would have bought one. It is tough on an ole man getting in and out of the truck to see if I am hitting the coupling or not.LOL

Jim, I hadn't thought about you being able to open your back hatch to line up the coupling, that is cheating.LOL

7. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
  8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I luv it! Just one thing. If I use it I'll be puttin someone outa work. LOL!

9. wirehead80

wirehead80 New Member

State:
    Michigan
  10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks Jim for the idea and the pictures. Know what you mean by hard getting in and out. By the third time bloods starting to warm up.May have to give that a try.
    Don't know

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks Jim for the idea and the pictures. Know what you mean by hard getting in and out. By the third time bloods starting to warm up.May have to give that a try.
    :confused2:Don't know who it would put out of work except for ME!!

12. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Mike, thanks for the link, that will work and the price is pretty good also. I just used some scrap I had laying around to make mine.

Thanks for ya'll's responses gang.

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hmmmmm.....could this end up in the library? That is a real possibility! LOL Great idea Jim.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gotta be something wrong with my procedure. I back up until I think I'm close to the ball, turn off the ignition, set the emergency brake, walk back to the boat tounge, jack it up or down until it is at a height it sets on the trailer ball plate, pick up the tounge of the boat, push/pull until I can set the coupler down over the ball, and finish hooking it up. Usually gets it on the first try... LOL

15. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    AwShucks, I am tickled that you can do that with your boat. I wish I could with mine but it is just way too heavy to pick up. If I tried to pick it up, that would bring my fishing trip to a halt real quick.LOL

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    FuzzFace and I did some balancing act on both our boats. We got them balanced so there is tounge weight sufficient to keep the coupler on the ball with normal road travel. By the time you latch and lock the coupler, it's there until you turn your rig over. Think the USCG suggests a tounge weight equal to 10% of your total boat weight, and thats about what we have. I used to fight the heavy s. o. boys too, and years ago would have been tickled to see either of these two methods for aligning the hitch and coupler.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim thanks for a great idea. When are you going to mass produce them? Put me first on your list to buy one. My truck is tall and it does make me tired getting in/out two or three times. Thanks. I agree Whistler it's library material.:smile2:

18. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    thats a great idea Jim. I'm tired getting in and out of my truck trying to hook up my boat.:crazy:

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went over to the Camping World website & the thing I was thinking about is a telescopic pole with a magnet on the end that attaches to the trailer tongue with a 9" mirror attached to the top of it. They are kind of cashy though,and the setup you came up with will work every bit as good as one of those high dollar rigs!

20. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks fellows, I was hoping that this mirror thing would help some of you also. Once I had the mirror adjusted I went ahaed and put a screw in each side so it would be adjusted each time I used it and it worked. You can see it isn't hard to build at all and all of this was scrap.

I tried using a pole on the coupling and one on the ball to line up but I always missed by a couple of inches so I thought a mirror would work.