Idea for no rolls and egg sinkers

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by whisker maniac, Aug 29, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    When molding no rolls and egg sinkers wrap the pins in aluminum foil. This keeps the lead from sticking to the pins and makes the pins easy to remove. The lead sticks to the aluminum foil and the pins slide right out. The aluminum foil stays in the weight and gives you a slick sleeve for your line to be threaded thru.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Kevin I was curious if your pins are copper..from Do-it ?

I candle soot all my stuff and have no problems with sticking. After I pour lead I do spin the pin so it don't set up, but it does slide right out.

I like your tip and appreciate it but so far mine slid fine.

-Jim-

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good ideas, Buddy and JJ!
    BB in SC

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Most of the mold manufactures say to dip in oil, I do that about every third and have not bad any trouble I also use brass pins

5. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ok, this not not to be arguementive but informative:

This is word for word in my Do-it instructions.

Before casting: Oil HINGES of the mold before each session to keep them working properly. Put a drop of oil in the spring pins on the hinges. Oil occasionally during use. 20w or 30w motor oil works well.

Egg sinkers: The rod should be oiled slightly or smoked with carbon soot before starting and occasionally during the pouring session. The rod is inserted from the hinge end of the mold. After the lead is poured into the cavities, the pull pin rod should be withdrawn immediately using a twisting motion. Failure to oil or smoke the pin before the first pour, or allowing the lead to cool in the mold. will make withdrawal of the rod difficult.

It does not say anywhere to oil the mold itself. It does say, and I quote " Smoke the mold cavities by positioning them just above a candle's flame. A thin coat of black carbon soot will form which will help the flow of molten lead into the cavities and also make it easier to remove the cast lead parts." end quote.

I have used wd40 and Pam cooking grease etc. They do work but they cause more smoke , and your sinkers are more likely to come out with pits in them from the heat..... cause tiny bubbles .

Soot works, ya don't have to do it often, in fact my last 5 pours I didn't have to soot my molds still.

I figure they make the molds and they know best. If ya never tried it, give it a shot, you might be pleased.

I hope this helps some folks.

-Jim-

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    your right about the soot and the oil for do it molds but there are also alot of guys on here that make there own molds and some also just make no rolls by pouring lead into spoons. In these situations, I believe my idea of the aluminum foil will work just fine. I guess I should of clarified this in my first post. Sorry.

If you have do it molds please follow the instructions they work just fine.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    iv ben trying to come up with a way to make a mold for no rolle sinkers never thout of a spoon glad you said that thanks WHISKER:big_smile::cool2:

8. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Dallas - there are a number of ways to make molds for no roll sinkers. One of which is using sheetrock. You can catch most of these ideas for molds in the Member Library. It will tell you step by step instructions. Wish you luck.!!!

9. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Kevin thanks for the advice. One thing I aint figured out how you folks make the hole for a no-roll using a spoon mold. I've made them but had to drill em out. How do yas do it..... and yea I soot spoons also ; ) Do yas make a hole just in one end or down the center ? I don't need them often but now and then I will fish near heavy current.

Dallas.... I make egg sinkers using a mold but if I need a no roll I just flatten a egg sinker out with a hammer. I would rather have the mold but I need save my pennies still. I also make slinky weights that IMO are the best no-rolling sinker you can make. Down side is they are more costly and time consuming to make.

Just a few ideas for ya to toss around

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I made a slinky weight from 3 egg sinkers. I threaded them on a piece of heavy mono and hammered them flat. I haven't really been where I could try it yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    I made one of the dry wall molds. It works OK. Got to make more sinkers though.
    Thanks for the al foil idea.
    have a good one
    just

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea what he said how do you make the hole in the led in a spoon mold

12. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas

I use a small finishing nail. If you try with a spoon lay the nail on the spoon then poor over it with lead. It will not be perfectly centered through the middle but it still works okay.

If you have some no rolls already get some plaster of paris and mix some up let sit till it's not too wet but still soft enough to work with. Mash your no roll into the plaster to make an impression. Then mash in the size nail you will use for the pin. Let is harden and you have a mold.

13. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    oops sorry some more info..... If you don't have a no roll to create your impression use a spoon.

Hope this helps.

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks kev i will be making some molds now

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive used the bottom of 2 cans to make some big flat sinkers but it was a little time consuming. another plan i was going to try before i bought molds was taking a piece of pipe the size of weight i wanted and weld it to a flat plate drill holes in oppisite sides of the pipe for the pin. pour, pull, and dump done. i suppose you dont have to weld the pipe to the plate if your carefull and the pipe lays flat without gaps.

16. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Some of the first sinkers I ever made was using copper pipe ends for molds. You can get them in all sizes so you have different size weithts. I used to get copper wire for the eye. I would twist the wire into a loop and leave some length to go down into the lead and twist that into feet so it couldn't pull out of the lead easily then I would pour the lead into the cap. OH I sprayed the caps with silicone spray first. Let cool after pouring and then with a pair of needle nose pliers would pull the weight out.