Idea for a new cheese and blood bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by lil kat, May 21, 2007.

1. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been pondering the idea of a new bait and was wanting some opnions on it before i tred it. I have some cheese trimmings, and some left over chicken liver blood from last year. Thinking of mixing this togather to make a paste, and then add some garlic powder or salt, or vannilli to it. stiffin it it with a little cattail or flour to make a dip bait. If any diffrent sugestions or ideas plz let me know and will try it.. thanks Paul

Good luck and happy fishing:cool2:

2. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Sounds like a plan....Have you mixed/tried it yet????Dwight

3. KansasCatmaster

KansasCatmaster New Member

State:
    Parsons, Kansas
    Demolition Man,
    Yes it works, and works very well. Just be sure to add the flour or corn starch to make it nice and thick. I've done alot of testing with different types of dip worms, hooks with sponges, etc..., I'm convinced that looper makes the best hooks for dip baits. Seems like everything else won't keep the bait on long enough for it to be affective. Good luck

Kansas Catmaster
    Parsons, Kansas

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds good to me,mix it all up and try it,then post so we will know if it was a hit or not!!:big_smile:

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Let me suggest another component that will improve your bait. The Beef tallow or fat trimmings ground through a 3/8" chili plate mixed with your cheese trimmings and blood will improve your catch. It is kind of like that last little bit of worm on the hook when you were a kid fishing for perch. Here you have to talk to the meat market man and he may have to save it for you. Here they charge ten cents a pound. I grind my own but you could probably get them to grind it for you for a reasonable amount. I use an equal weight to the cheese trimmings. It is better after a couple of weeks in the summer sun.

6. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    well got bait made up and finally got to try it out yesterday evening. Had one hard hit on it but with no luck of a hook up. Fish were not biting too good any way, only cought 3 gar and nothing else and they come off trusty ole chicken livers. will try again some time soon i am sure!!!:cool2:

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    try adding some cattails to it and making a punch bait, i hav ehad better luck on punch baits than dip baits

8. texasboy1

texasboy1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My personal favorite would be to substitute the chicken blood for KARO SYRUP and instead of Vanilla I would use Big Red soft drink.

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Try hog brains instead of beef. Know a commercial product like that.

10. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ok here is a report on this bait....I used it in a farm pond last night and had great success with it. When i would get a hit they normally would run like the dickens with it and not let go. Do have to do some more work on it to get it to stay on hook better now think ill thicken it up with some corn meal or flour and try it again

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :big_smile:paul sounding good. Keep us posted on the results. Thanks.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Interesting. The thread shows two pages, but will only let me look at page one.

Anyway. If you can find some cattails that still have the seed pod on them, collect them and break them up to mix into your catfish bait to help it stay on the hook. Keep the pods in a ziploc bag so that should one accidentally break, it won't make a big mess. Break up one pod at a time, putting the fuzz into a different ziploc bag One pod makes a lot of fuzz. The seed fibers (fuzz) are fairly long, which makes the bait mixture hold together better than something like dryer lint.

13. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Sounds like you got it. Another product I know of uses ground up shad and cheese with cattails for dip bait.

14. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    well i made up a new batch yesterday and this time i used blended chicken livers in it and i used the cattails like stated before, but bait was still very wet and wouldnt stay on hook too well so I mixed in some oats and it did better. Fishing was good with it cought 3 nice ones in a lil over an hour yesterday evening. Still neeeds some work on it to stay on hook but Ill try some other things to see if i can get it to work