Idaho Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Snakerivercat, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    This is the biggest cat I have caught in Idaho. I know it's not a monster but we don't have very many flatheads here. They're very rare. Fish and game say's they never really took off here. Maybe because of water temps or maybe because of the high fluctuations here in the water level. Due to the hydro power. I caught her on 10lb test and chased her with the electric trolling motor for 15 minutes. I made sure she was good and healthy before I let here go. I took her right back to where I found her to. I don't know if she was bedding or not. Didn't want to take the chance. I hope there are more swimming around now.

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jason - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :0a23: Congrats on the nice Idaho Flathead! :cool2: I didn't know they existed there! Thanks for sharing the pics! :big_smile:

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Welcome to the BOC! Congrats on the nice Flathead!!!

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Welcome to the BOC Jason,,

Nice flatheadtoo!.If their is one their's got to be another..:big_smile:

I hope when you get him ,he's twice as FAT..:eek:oooh::cool2:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice fish, Jason and Welcome to the BOC.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the Boc Jason....congratulations on a nice looking Flathead. Reps to you for the release!!!:big_smile:

8. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks for the compliments guy's. I'm amazed at the huge flatheads you guy's land. Awesome just awesome.

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    You might want to upgrade from 10 pd test. If that healthy looking flathead is in there there are more. At least 2 more. Mommy and Daddy... They are bigger than him dude.. Go GetEM!

10. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I hear that jagdoctor1. I wasn't really prepared to catch that fish that day. But sometimes lady luck is on your side. I would assume that a 1/4oz. hotlips crankbait isn't typicall flathead bait also. But she nailed it hard or maybe I just reeled it right into her mouth.:big_smile: This summer I'm definately dedicating more time on the flatties. Idaho has a no live bait law which totally sucks. :sad2: But I'll figure it out. Thanks for the words of encouragement by the way.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Jason WELCOME to the BOC/SOC first of all. Second that is a nice Flat you caught. It sure does look like a fat one. RePS to YA for the CPR. Now it will be there for you to hook into once again.WTG!!

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like a fun catch.... Congrats..

Welcome..:big_smile:

13. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Way to go! I applaud your willingness to put that fish back. You did the right thing!

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Way to go Jason! Indeed a Idaho flats is as rare as gar in Philadelphia.

Flatheads catfish are like carp, which means they can adapt in many waters and survive. As long as there is enough smaller fish for it to eat, they should be reproducing like rabbits and taking over the river. Flathead catfish in non-native waters is scientifically proven to grow at a faster rate than the native counterparts.

I'd start targeting them and you may be surprised whats laying down there.

15. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks Andy. I totally hope your right, Blacky. I know that the record isn't very big here. Like 48lbs or so. I'm going to be hitting them harder this year. Try to lay off the C-Cats for awhile and concentrate on Flats. We''ll see probably will be a learning experience. Thanks again.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    welcome to the site, wow if you caught that one not trying just think what a little effort should produce this spring, might be a well kept secret ya got there, go get'um :wink:

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Man if that dont ROCK! Congrats on a fine catch & something tells me we are gonna see some more out of ya that thing looks like he / she is thrivin just fine ....RIGHT ON!

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i always heard the snake river is a mixed bag of fishing but nice flathead that would be anywhere welcome to boc rick

19. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Rick, the snake has some what of a mixed bag here. We have a high number of channel's here, some flats and some blues. In the ten years I've lived here I have caught two flats, one medium sized (the one in picture)and one small about 4 lbs. Blues I'm a big zero on. Channel's more than I can count. I finally have a river boat so that should open some more opportunities for flatheads. Now I just have to find them and figure out there habits here. Most of our structure is rocky banks here. The lake I caught that fish at is very deep with steep banks. Fishing right next to the bank you could be in 80 ft of water. Maybe suspended baits would work good. We can't use live bait. Basically they say you have to use cut bait only.Cut bait in Idaho is defined as a piece cut off fish or a cut placed in a fish. Crappies are here by the hundreds of thousands also perch and bluegills. But crappie is the prominent species on that lake. Some wood along banks on the river but not a lot. I'm just guilty of fishing for the prominent species to much(channels). But now I have new goal, find some flats. Also it's hard for me to choose which species to fish for in the spring because I'm also a Sturgeon Hunter. That's for a different topic though. Thanks Jason

20. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Welcome to the BOC and good luck on your new hunt I'm also joining the hunt for flats in the spring there are lots of good guys on here with tons of info and advice to help ya through with any questions