ID this catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ncfowler, Dec 30, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Well the weather being what is too nice to go duckhunting i decided to get out and do a little of catfishing, I can id most cats but this one boggles me it looks like a white but has some bloch markings like a bull but two white, I have been catching them all summer and into the winter. they have a large mouth, and stockey body i have pulled ones out in the 5lb range fat litter suckers but no length, attached is one i got today, thanks

Attached Files:

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    White Catfish..........

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Thats a whitecat, notice the tail has more of a fan shape to it than a forked tail like a bluecat has. thats the easiest way to tell a white from a blue. That is the whitecat i know and they dont look nothin like channels and it is very hard to find info on them, on the internet anyway. i have seen posts on here and on other sites that say they look very much like channels, but the whitecats i grew up catching and was taught to identify them, look very much like blues and the easiest way to ID them is by the tail. And as far as color goes,some have blotches and some have a very perfect whitish blue color. In my opinion, science has along ways to go with catfish, as far as IDing them.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Looks something like a White Fulton.

5. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thats a white catfish

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like a channel that has been in polluted waters.
    I would CPR that one for sure.
    I have never caught a catfish of any kind that had that color to it. I take that back. I caught one a couple of years back when it was in papers about chemicals taking over the river.
    Does it glow in the dark.?
    polluted waters are spreading and to me is the biggest danger to family fishing. That Catfish just dont look right to me.

On a side note. I have been checking out an old lost gold mind in central Texas that my family was a part of at one time. That is a long story . Anyway. It is full of under ground caves etc bout 20 miles of them, and has underground natural streams. very dark place lots of water which comes up to top of ground in different spots. Catfish live in the under
    ground part. Sometimes they swim out in the open water and if one is lucky, they will see it in the clear streams. They are solid white because they live in the caves , the streams under ground. No sun light so they be all white. Weird stuff.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Here are some descriptions of the white.

Description - The sides are blue-gray to blue-black and may be mottled. The tail is moderately forked, and the anal fin is shorter and rounder than that of channel or blue catfish. Whites have only 19-22 anal fin rays. The chin barbels are white or yellow. They have a blunt, more-rounded head, and they lack black spots on their body.

Could possibly be a white.

8. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Looks like an albino bullhead to me. In the pic the eyes look pink so I would say black or brown bullhead

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Dan, those catfish you saw in the underground "rivers" were probably blind cave catfish....try setting a trot line, HAHAH!!! Ive only seen a few pictures on the internet, so go try and catch one! And if you do don't forget to take a picture!

10. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    White cat for sure! Those things do not get very big though.... what you caught right there is just about as big as they get, or at least what I have heard. They got a big ol fat head on em but the body of channel!

11. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i didnt know but its nice to see that you found some help here jeff:tounge_out:

12. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    definetly looks like a white catfish, not the kind im used to catching though the ones here are blue on the top and then as you go down changes to solid white.

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok I will go out on a limb and tell you just what i was told be my DNR and fisheries guys. Check the rays its the only will to tell. i zoomed in on the pictures an it looks to have somewhere around 26 or 27 rays. This would make it a channel cat now I know most are going to say but the forked tail.
    We are starting to see more and more fish around the high current river with less and less forks in the tail. I was told that it may be do the rivers its slef or the fish is changing to better handle the waters. Now days who knows I have had many fish that has that color some was bullheads, whites, blues and channels and the only way I could tell was by the rays

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats ethier a white or bluecatfish.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...looks like a white but has some bloch markings like a bull..."

You are right on both counts.

It is a white catfish, and the white catfish is a member of the bullhead family

17. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    thats a great white catfish.HAHAHA:lol:

18. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    from What I Can Tell Its A Bluecat And A Nice Colored One At That.

19. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like a blue cat to me. If its not I have been catchin some 35lb white cats all year.