ID this catfish ( looks like a big tadpole )

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Blake Wright, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    One of my workers landed this fish last night. I said it was a bullhead but others think it's a channel cat. If it's a bullhead it could have gave the SC record a run but he released it after the pictures without weighing it. It was cought in a small lake (or big pond). What do you guys think? It's a dang ugly thing! Big tadpole:big_smile:

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      36 KB
      Views:
  2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Big Tad pole......... no, I would say it was a starved channel cat. The pond it is in cant support the numbers or there is a serious lack of food. I have seen the same thing before with bass.:sad2:

3. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree. I've also seen bass like this from small ponds. 5lb size head and 1lb size body.

4. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    MAYBE................but I don't think so. The pond is full of bream and bass. I can catch fish there any time no problem.
    I had a good Idea it wasn't a tadpole:confused2:

5. big riggin' younggun

big riggin' younggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    damn that things just plain ugly.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would guess a male channel cat.

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Looks like a white cat. big head small body.

8. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i agree, white cat. we catch a ton of them on lake murray. looks kinda like a cross between a flathead and a channel.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Channel cat with a mutant head piece lol during the spawn!!!!!!!!

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That is a white catfish - Ictalurus catus. They have more recently been reclassified to the same genus with the bullheads, so now some folks call them Ameiurus catus.

Of course, this is a different fish from the pale colored blue cats that are often called "white catfish" in some parts of the country.

Whites are native to the coastal rivers of the southeast, and are quite common in the Cooper, Edisto, Ashley, etc. They are one of few fish that actually seem to prefer the low salinity brackish areas of these rivers.

(Sorry about coming across as Mr. Professor, but the name game confusion can be a bit tricky sometimes.)

11. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    MY BROTHER CAUGHT ONE LIKE THAT ONE TIME BUT HIS HEAD WAS MESSED UP SOMETHING BAD KINDA LOOKED LIKE IT WAS RELATED TO BUBBA GUMP.

12. deerhunter3161

deerhunter3161 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    yup , you sure got something ther for sure how about a cross breed of a bullhead and a channel , take this pic and show it to the DNR in there fisheries expert maybe he could ID it for yea > Scott:eek:oooh:

13. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I guess that clears up a couple of things for me. I guess those were blues we were catching several years ago. We thought they looked like channels without spots at first but they had air bladders like blues and didn't have meat like channels. This was before I learned to look at the anal fin to tell the difference between channels and blues. We didn't think they were blues because they weren't dark enough. We thought they might have been white catfish since they were so lightly colored. I guess we thought whites and blues were closely related kind of like the different colors of bullheads, which would have explained the similar looks with a color difference and both having the same kind of air bladder. We couldn't find much information on identifying white catfish.

I guess I've never caught a white catfish then.

14. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I have caught fish before that I swear must have been a cross between a bullhead and a channel, but they didn't look anything like that.

15. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    My guess would be either a White Cat or a Brown Bullhead. Ameiurus Nebulosus. hope this helps

16. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I looked it up in a fishing encyclopidia and it closely matched a Black Bull head. Maybe blackwaterkatz can E-mail it to one of his DNR guys for the final word.

17. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That sounds good to me. I'll go with it untill better come along.:wink:

18. sbrittharrell

sbrittharrell New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Thats a BIG MUDCAT......bULLHEAD.... Bet my bottom dollar on it. ; Catch them all the time...... Best flathead bait you can get.... I catch them in traps and thats all me and my dad fish with...except for pond perch.... That is surely a mudcat. They are in creeks around where i am from........

19. sbrittharrell

sbrittharrell New Member

State:
    mississippi
    AS a matter of fact my dads pond is full of them... That where we raise our bait....... Flathead spottedcats; dont have a chance.......