ID Tags

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Flatts, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Flatts

Flatts New Member

State:
    Ky
    What are you fellas using for ID Tags on trotlines and limblines?
    This is my first post, I found this site about a week ago looking for info. A lot of good info here! Thanks

2. Weaponx

Weaponx New Member

State:
    Rock Island, ILL
    I use duc tape. 10" strip, folded. Then black marker with name,addy and phone. Cheap and it works well.Can be replaced easy. Good fishing to ya......

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joe we Welcome you to the BOC, from So. Illinois. :0a18::0a25::0a25:

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i use a simple postal addy label. and wrap in clear packing tape. works well for a season usually.

also you can get tags from taxidermy suppliers. they will hold under water and in salt water. designed for chemical baths.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01002429/

5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    What I've found that works best is copper trapping tags. You can probably find them in any trapping magazine or maybe even trapping web sites. They are durable and are easy to read. Duck tape with black magic markers won't last long (any time in the water and you can't read them). Being readable is what the game wardens will insist for your lines. Make sure you read the regulations for your state to find out what information is required on your tags. Hope this helps and good luck.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    welcome to the BOC, this site is full of great info and great people.

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use the address labels and clear tape, like cats4uandme talked about.

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I either use the trap tags that I had left over from my trapping days but usually just use those on my yo yo's.

For my trotlines I cut up a milk jug into tag squares and put my information on it with a sharpie marker. Then I take a hole punch and punch a hole in one end and put one on both ends of my trotline.
    Arkansas only requires that you put one tag on at the bank end of a trotline but sometimes where I fish both ends are close to the bank so I put a tag at both ends just in case. I use the milk jug tags on my trotlines because I can make them the size that I want and they will be easy to read just in case a game warden wants to check them he doesn't have to disturb my line much to read the tag.

10. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    I like to use wooden clothes pin's. They are cheap and easy

11. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Joe, welcome to the BOC from SW Florida, brother.:big_smile:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[ยบ>

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What I use are those 3M waterproof backpack ID labels. What they are is thick, clear plastic with adhesive on it. I just write my name and info on a slip of paper, then the ID label works as a waterproof laminate. They also have a plastic chord that works real well for attaching the tag to the line. I made six of them 3 years ago, and the still look like I made them yesterday. They are very visible, which may invite thieves or trot-haters, but I don't wanna be accused of not following the codes.

14. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Copper trap tags here.

:004:

15. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Like some other guys good ole duct tape and a sharpie works pretty well.

16. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use thin strips of aluminum, name and address etched with engraving tool. Little more time consuming to make but as long as your lines don't get cut or stole then they last a lifetime! (I've got 6 of the 8 I made in 2000 left)

17. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Joe welcome to the BOC

18. daddyrabbit

daddyrabbit New Member

State:
    Lake City S.C.
    I use small diameter PVC pipe approx. 3.5 to 4 inches long. Attached to this are the postal label and clear tape previously suggested. Also attached to the unit is a 3/4 to 1 wide strip of D.O.T. approved reflective tape (the other tapes just don't seem to fit the bill). The reflective tape not only makes the rigs easier to locate but also add to the fun whenever you shine your light across the water and see several units bouncing from the actions of the hooked catfish. To state the ovious, I never leave my rigs unattended.