I'd rather have a boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by vini, Jun 13, 2008.

1. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Not to be unthankful but my girlfriends Aunt and Grandmother decided that there pop up tent trailer days are over and they've handed the thing over to me for free , I wont hardly use it and its a hassle setting it up ( did it once to see how it's done ) and i'm thinking about running an ad looking for a trade on a small boat or just sell for cash and find a boat for sale , now thats something I would definetly use.

I'll get some pictures later to see what you guys think it might be worth.

It's an older model Jayco trailer and its not in bad shape just old, the canvass is still good

Thing i'm worried about is the gals being offended but I figure I could even take it up to where they live in Porterville and use it on lake Success up there to fish maybe catch a few of those huge channels in that lake so maybe they wont be so offended? i'd be able to take Jenn and her son Ty out fishing and i know her Aunt would want to go so maybe it wouldn't be so bad and I could fish the mendota a lot better plus I could use it to get my dredge up stream in the San Joaquin river to spots i'd other wise have to hike into with the dredge and thats a huge task.

I think the trailers easily worth $1,500 minumum like I said i'll take some pictures and post them later.

2. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Vini,

That thing sounds perfect for little overnight trips, that's too bad about it being such a pain to set up. I'm with you though, I'd rather have a boat also. I ended up buying a 12' fiberglass jon boat a few years back for $300 with out a motor and later bought a 5hp motor for $800. The boat suits me just fine, I don't take it out as much as I'd like because I do a lot of fishing by myself but it is really nice to have. Whatever you decide to do, getting the pop up trailer for free is a good score for you, use it or sell it and you will come out ahead either way.

Brandon

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Vini, not to dash your hopes but, take a look on Craigslist and see what those things are selling for.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Vini.... before the RV, I too had an ole tent trailer.... and it was a hard "pull" loaded down with all the "sheet"..... I even had my 12ft boat on top of it to boot......finally went to a tent, and just got a trailer for the boat.....and put my stuff in the boat and the mini van....

get a "mule' for your gold finding stuff..... strike it rich dude.... have someone else spread that "wet stuff", and move to Mexico and fish...LOL

Panning and all that gold stuff is still legal in CA.... but the Peta folks and Sierra boys are working againts ya..... We are loosing our fishing rights in the state.....

Bayrunner Ray

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Bayrunner Ray
    Attached Thumbnails

Now,that's Just wierd.

6. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Tom all I see are rentals and others wanting to buy beat up trailers for parts?

Ray man I wish this painting Biz would take off a bit faster its been slow I have a 9 plex i'm doing this weekend that i'll make out nice on but these are far and few between NEED MORE WORK!!! I defenitly need a small trailer for gold stuff and work hate working out the back of the truck thinking small harbor freight trailer soon and I LOVE you plan for my life sounds GOOD!!! Sonora Mexico lots of gold too LOL

Funny what a guy can make money on heard about a friends brother in law who got a hold of a mine in mexico the clay is used for porcelain he now makes 7-$9,000 a week transporting that mud to porcelain plants

You dont have to tell me about enviro nuts they are back at it again trying to sneak threw legislation the ending of dredges, every year some congresswoman goes for sneaky tactics to stop us ,WEIRD luckily we have organizations who keep close eyes on her, there now trying to pass law no licenses or permitts for dredging in 2009 but the way its being done is absolutely rediculous, Swarzneager last year said ENOUGH they have enough restrictions already leave it alone yet they go on and waste taxpayers money.

Whelp my Partener Jenn says no way not this year we need to use the trailer and see how we like it I like being able to throw the dredge on top and going to the Merced river for a week thats going to happen this summer and maybe even to the beach that will be fun so we'll use it this year then maybe next, well we'll see I dont call all the shots :confused2:

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I see them offered all the time for around $500.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Before you spend your boat money consider where you will use the boat.
    Remember that many lakes today do not alllow two-stroke moters. And it's getting to be more every day.
    You could buy a boat and motor and find that you can't use it anywhere close by.

9. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Is that first boat a 2 stroke? if not thats a damn good deal nice setup exactly what I want :wink:

I'll start looking to see Tom I thought they were going for more then just $500 but this is an older model so maybe so

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    LOL Scott its still a good deal even if you have to get another motor OK let's FISH!!!!

Scott is it a oil gas mix or do you just use gas in it?

I looked up the trailers in the RV section DUH forgot to look in the obvious theres and 87 jayco for $2,200 and 1972 for $1,800 so the prices look to be fairly high doesn't mean there selling for those prices though the one I have has some new canvas and is in good shape

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Man, Scott, that sure looks to me to be an older Johnson motor.
    What year is it?
    Can you find a model number on the motor. There should be an ID tag somewhere.
    If that is a two stroke and you run it without the oil in the mix your gonna be out a motor real quick. Hate to see that happen.

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
  13. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    What is the H.P. rating for that motor?

14. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Okay Scott, I read that as being a;
    J=Johnson
    10=10 HP
    R= rope start
    L=20'' length
    CI=1981
    D=run series D
    Considering it's an '81 and is not designated as a four stroke, I would recomend you call the person wh you bought it from and ask what the fuel mix ratio is.

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    the oil gets in from oil mixed with gas. bet mixture is 50 - 1 like mine was.gary

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    if you buy a quart of 2 cycle oil, on the back of it is a chart that tells you how to mix it. most are 3 oz per gal. i get in gal container, then have small containers that hold enough oil for 6 gal at a time. you can always use mama's measuring cup. she'll love you for that. :wink:
    gary

17. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
  18. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Scott, I got your PM but could not reply because you either have the PM blocked or haven't posted enough to have PM privileges yet.
    The best thing you can do for yourself is to locate and purchase a service manual.
    That's always my first purchase when I buy some new toy.
    Now a word about safety.
    The Coast Guard requires that you have a Personal Floatation Device for every person on board any vessel.
    Considering the high seats in that boat and the sizeof it, I would recomend that you wear one at all times but especially while underway.
    Just up the I-15 is BPS and they have a wide selection. You can find a vest type or auto inflate type that is comfortable to wear there.
    Do not venture out on the water without one you can pick up a hefty fine.
    By the way 50:1 is 1 gallon of oil for every 50 galons of fuel.

19. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    SWEET BOAT your ready now Scott

Hey does he need to know what lakes will or wont allow his boat ???

HEY you can run that puppy in the mendota and fish the bank for bass and crappie and go WAY BACK to find cats at night :big_smile: there are unfished canals way in the back on the south side that never get fished BIG BASS out there.

DANG i'm jealous:confused2:

20. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    As far as I know you can't use a two stroke on Diamond Valley or any of the San Diego lakes.
    But you should be able to find out online before going to any of them.