I'd like to report a house jacking

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by rairdog, Aug 8, 2007.

1. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Here are some pics of the turtle we caught Sat. We were canoing when my neighbor jumped out of the boat, stepped on his back and grabbed him. You can see my house river house in the background. We have jacked it up 5 feet so far. Only 2 more feet to go. No more flooding for me. Any blocklayers out there. I'll supply the beer, food and a good fishing trip.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t know how they make the block in In.I once saw a raised house on the river lost because the supporting porous block soaked up water,froze,busted and let one side of the house fall.How do you folks stop that up there?Are the Block made different?Our cinder block is very porous and does does not have a lot of strength.I am just curious to how you folks handle this as it is much colder there and our type block is imposable to seal completely from flood water.I wish you the best.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Peewee, not sure if our AR concrete blocks are the same but at a local lumber yard they have a display to sell waterproofing paint. Its a tank made of concrete blocks and the inside is painted with a water proofing material. The tank is full of water... doesn't leak a drop.

Our house has a concrete/rebar foundation but has concrete blocks up to where the wood starts. Our contractor painted all the concrete blocks that were below grade with the water proofing material on the earth side. The concrete blocks were filled with cement after they were set for strength. They don't normally fill them with cement unless back fill will be required. Then the extra strength is needed.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Maybe it's just my computer...but does anybody else see a link to a pic? Thanks.

-Red

5. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I posted the pics in Indiana Local River Talk and I guess it won't allow me to post them here. I figured they would move the post to here anyway. Here is the link location.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56527

I plan on filling the block with mortar and vert. rebar every 2 feet.