ID help

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by kerber0s, Aug 9, 2009.

1. kerber0s

kerber0s New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Need some help IDing this thing. I've only been catfishing for about a month and haven't quite gotten the handle on telling the difference between a channel and a small blue. The virginia dept of game and inland fisheries says blues and channels look very similar and the only way to really tell is by the anal fin. I caught this before I knew the difference and its hard for me to tell from the pictures I took whether it is a channel or blue. If its a channel its a citation by length. Hoping it is as it will be my first. It doesn't look to have the size through the body that the blues I've seen but I thought I would leave it to the experts. Thanks for the help.

-Kerb

Attached Files:

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome Brian to the boc. That cat really looks like a channel but I cannot tell much about the anal fins from the pic.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Brian. That looks like a blue to me.

4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Im goin with channel as well.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    That's a channel cat.... look at the over bearin over bite he has...

It is kinda hard to tell by that pic because you got the anal fin folded down with your hand but I'd say it's a channel by the overbite...

6. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have caught many like that around here and i heard they are called mississippi white. But really don't know.

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Looks like a channel to me.
    Loop

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Actually that looks like a white cat..The barbels on the chin are white and a channel cats barbels are black or brown..And the anal fin looks really short like a white cat which only has 19-23 rays..Maybe its a trick of the light that makes the barbels look white can't tell..

9. kerber0s

kerber0s New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the input everyone. Its not a whilte cat. The anal fin is actually quite long. "White cats average 8 - 18" rarely 20"" so says the VDGIF. This one was 31.5". Thanks for the help IDing. I appreciate it.

-Kerb

10. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri