I'd appreciate any input.

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by 93catfisherman, Jul 19, 2009.

1. 93catfisherman

93catfisherman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm having a heck of a time finding catfish in the pond I usually fish in. It's about and acre and a half. I just bought some Secret 7 bait. I know it works in a bigger lake. It seems I just can't find 'em. Any input is appreciated. (btw only bank access.)

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Try different depths, if there is weeds or moss on the bottom use a floater, try different areas and different baits. If you have caught them there before use the same technique and bait

Welcome to the BOC and please sign up in the Okla member section if you haven't

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009

3. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Sounds like you got the Channel Cat Blues,

Is the lake shallow ?? I would try a Slip Bobber, and set it about 4 or 5 ft deep, you need to give them time to find the bait also, in a small lake with no current it may take an hour before you get a bite, when you do get a bite cast back to the same place, the bait you are useing is good stuff, for channel cat and blue cats, what kind of bait fish or in the lake???
    Secret 7, Sonny's,Danny King's, punch bait are all good Channel cat bait
    try a few chicken livers too, try and catch a perch or some kind of bait fish,

hope this helps

cliff

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    For descent size channels I would use a good sizeed bluegill on a float, in the evening and night.

5. 93catfisherman

93catfisherman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've tried fishing on the bottom with Secret 7, I get little bites, but nothing that'll take it. And when I use a float (not a slip) I get bites but nothing substantial. It's driving me crazy, I have much better luck at Sooner Lake. lol

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I think I'd try a new place/lake. Probably not worth the time if you have put in hours there an not much luck.

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Maybe there aren't any channel cats in that pond? If you haven't caught any yet, that's a pretty good sign you should move. If you're getting little nibbles, it's probably bluegill. Switch over to some lighter tackle and worms, catch about a dozen of them, then head to the river with your big tackle!

Anyways welcome to the BOC and I dig the avatar.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try goin to the river near ya or lake find some swift current and toss some jigs and grubs awhile and reel em in kinda fast repeatedly then cut em into chunks and use that.. you'll see whats out there.:wink:

9. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can you use more than one rod? Late evening is good but so is very early morning.

I would use a light rig with small hook and a worm to catch some of those pesky bluegills. As he has said put the first live one on a float, like a minnow. Use a bobber just large enough to hold it up. If there is any breeze let it push the bobber around the pond. Try different depths.
    Keep catching blue gills but use the head and gut pocket of a small one. Drift it just above the mud or moss on the bottom.

Sometimes they can make you dream about a quarter stick with a short fuse, not really just teasing but a seine might be nice.

This may turn out to be your bait pond.