ICW next week

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by rivercatsc, Sep 14, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well I am going on vacation next week to Cherry Grove and plan on fishing the ICW all week for flatheads, blues, and I might even try for some BIG Black Drum. I am more excited than a kid in a candy store.:big_smile:

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Good Luck James,sounds like a fun filled week,hope ya get into em bigtime:wink:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Marty this is always a tough time in me and my wifes marriage when we go on vacation she says ALL YOU DO IS FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHHAHA she will be alright in a week or so.:big_smile:

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Yea I fell your pain,I catch hell for going 2 or 3 times a month,i would probably be divorced if I went 2 or 3 times during vacation:crazy:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    2-3 I hoping to squeeze in 7 trips.:big_smile:

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Ha, earlier this year Jay Bird & myself went with Russell and his wife and son to Disney World. The first thing us four guys did when we got there was go fishing. Teaching our boys right, LOL , I hope, LOL.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hope you get that state record flattie out of there, James! Keep us posted!
    Bill in SC

8. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    According to some buds, the blacks are hitting pretty good up that way. They are fishing with halves of blue crabs around deep bridge and dock pilings in that area.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Danny I sure would love to tangle with a 50+lb black drum.:wink:

10. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Find a seafood market selling "LIVE CRABS" and ask for their dead ones. Pull off the large claws and chop in half. Hook through the "point" on the shell. Fish the baits down stream of structure in the current breaks. The closer to the channel the better.

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just got back and the fishing word for the week is WIND WIND WIND. Rained out on sunday and wasstill raining on monday morning but the radar showed it clearing by 9 am so out we went to try our luck. The water temps were in the low 70's overcast with the air temps in the middle 60's. I had a boat full of inexperienced fisherman(6 people) but I fished hard all day trying toput them on some fish. We caught lots of fish, over 30, but the biggest was a 5lb flathead. I did fiqure out that when the tide is going out the fish are in the center of the ICW and when the tides start coming in the start moving towards the banks. There were limb lines everywhere I went and I coverd around 15+ miles of the ICW in search of some big fish just never happened. I never even marked any BIG fish but somethinghad to hatch those little fish. We caught whites, blues, channels, and flatheads but mostly channel cats. I kept about 15 blues and channells about 3-5lbs to cook on wed night and when I cleaned them they were all full of grapes whick I have seen on the GPD many times. 30+mph winds with gust close to 50mph hendered fishing for the rest of the week so I got to spend some quality time with the wife.:wink: I think I will hit santee thursday.:smile2:

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Glad to have you back, James! Good report...
    Bill in SC

14. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Glad you had a good trip there James, The old Roundman said he really missed you in KY. At least two places worth. LOL