ICW blue catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mack in n.c., Aug 15, 2007.

1. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    hello,.....i know that the icw from 17 at n mrytle down to almost georgetown is mostly fresh water and i have heard from 2 sources that there are some big blue cats in there espically behind bass pro...has anyone else heard this>????????thanks mack

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mack, I know they're in the ICW, but I've never fished for them over that way. I'm pretty sure someone else here has; maybe ChrisBlue? Seems like I remember him saying something about that area quite a while back...

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    From the swing bridge in Little River down to Bass Pro is what I'm most familiar with.The area behind Alligator Adventure and Barefoot Landing is real good for flatheads.THe blues are scattered all the way thru but I've caught most of the bigger ones (20+ lbs)from the swingbridge down to the small airport.I dont know much about the area below Bass Pro.Big chunks of pin fish and mullet always worked good for the bigger blues and menhaden for numbers.You can catch some bream around the docks at Barefoot Landing to use for flatheads if not live mullet works good too.

2 warnings

1. Anchor as close to the edge of the water way as you can because those barges cant stop.

2. Be ready to pull up anchor quick to run a fish down because theres some monsters down there and they are mean.

If you want some more info shoot me a pm.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Mac I fish it in georgetown were it comes into the winyah bay alot in the fall/winter months and I will tell you there are some real big blues there. I broke my PB 3 times there last year and I hope to break it again this year. I might have to go try out that spot chris was talking about cause he said the magical word Flahead.LOL Good luck and keep us posted on what you catch. Oh yeah live and cut eell work wonderfully especially for the bigger blues.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    rivercat -

Is there a best time of year to fish the lower Wacamaw down near the bay?

I came up and gave it a try last year, but not until early spring and the fish seemed to have moved out. All we got were a couple of dinks.

6. clintwalker

clintwalker New Member

State:
    SC
    Are there any good bank spots on the Intercoastal?

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    John I think when the shad and herring move out of the bay in about march the fish follow them up how far I dont know. I usually start fishing there in Dec when the water temps start falling and you can tell when the bait fish move out cause like you say it dies off in the early spring. When you see people running nets in the bay it is time to be catfishing there. let me know if you are ever gonna make it back this winter and Ill try to meet you down there. When they start unloading those shrimp boats in town at Independence Seafood you can tear up the cats right there also. That should be around sept-oct.

Clintwalker let us know where it is you intend on fishing on the ICW. That way we can have a better idea on where to stear you to.

8. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    thanks for the info......mack

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Rivercat -
    Thanks.
    I had heard about that one, and since we launched at the ball field in G'town, we stopped off there for a little bit. Even in Feb or March or whenever it was, we managed a couple of 10 pound blues.

I'll give you a shout if I decide to run up there this year. I generally target flatheads through November, then do a bit of trout fishing (the spotted salty variety) through the Holidays...

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    John Jan and Feb are excellent time to give them a try. I am like you I love flatheads so I focus on the blues when the flatties are sleeping in the coldest months.

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Had some friends down there in July that did pretty good on the cats. Also talked to a guy at one of the local baitshops, and he said bream (live or cut bait) and nightcrawlers were real good to use in there.