ICE STORM OF 2009_ what's your story

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kyredneck, Jan 31, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Lost electricity around 11:00 pm Tuesday while I was in the process of chainsawing a downed tree in the curve and helping get the boy out of the ditch who slid off the road on account of the tree. I go back to the house lookin forward to snuggling down on the couch and finish watching ‘The Dark Knight’ ; what a disappointment.

It’s Saturday now, still no power, prognosis not good for any restoration soon (7 – 16 days they say) due to the power lines down in some rough terrain. We went 7 days without power in 94’ due to ice, but I had a lot more p*ss in me back then. Anyway, I have a generator this time and we’re able to energize a couple of 120v circuits at a time, mostly for the freezers and refrigerator, then switch over and watch DVDs and videos in the evening; satellite TV is out, phone is out, but oddly the DSL is up and running so that’s good; have to bail water from the cistern (230v pump), heat water on the stove (propane), the floor furnace operates on a power pile from a standing pilot flame and requires no external electricity source, so we’re good for heat, besides I have a wood burner in the basement. We would have been stranded were it not for the four wheel drive truck, but those are nearly a necessity to live here.

The neighbors (who now have power) spent Wednesday night with us because they had no heat. He and I spent Wednesday helping several other neighbors set up temporary heat, getting limbs off roadways, and pumped a basement out just before the water got into the furnace. We’re now taking showers at their house, they fed us supper last night.

I guess hard times will either bring out the best or the worst in people. I think I’m blessed with good neighbors. I know I try to be a good neighbor, sometimes I have to bite my tongue though……..

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    We managed to keep our power. As I have posted in other threads, this area is not in good shape with thousands out of power and not expected to get it back for days and sometimes weeks as your case KY. I am glad you have that generator and I thank you myself for going out and helping the neighbors, because some haven't made those provisions or are not able to financially or healthwise, I'm sure. The next big thing I hope we invest in is a generator. That, though will be sometime in coming for us unless we just luck into a deal.

I have been in the house since Monday...John finally got out Friday but I will assure ya we couldn't have gotten outta here if we tried before that. He is working today trying to keep from using his time up on the days we missed, and says he is working tomorrow too. that will leave him 2 and 1/2 days to deal with (missed) rather than 4 and 1/2.

I hear that our school has all ready gotten permission from the state to lengthen the school day by 30 minutes a day to make the time up. It doesn't bother me so much because I have to wait on John to get off work for that 30 minutes so I woulda been up there anyway but I am waiting to hear the fallout on that one when we go back Monday...50's and 60 's next week here thank goodness. Thank the Lord for small favors.

3. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well around here i got 2-3 inches of solid ice then 9 inches of snow to top it:eek:oooh:

4. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Been running on the generator since late Monday. Lots of trees and limbs down. Only 5 families on this co.road and everyone is OK. Hopefully get power back early next week. To be honest - it was kinda pretty in a scary way.

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    It got up into the mid 50's today in middle Georgia. No snow or ice all winter. :smile2:

6. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well here in south west Ohio i got 12" of the white stuff!

7. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I had 2-3 inches of snow then about 3/4 inch of ice then another 3 inches of snow.Finally got 36 and the roads are getting better.Tomorrow supposed to be near 50 then back to the 20-30 for the rest of week yuck

8. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Trade that for the ice any day.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hehe, since I posted this thread the neighbors have lost power again; we tried to get a generator hooked up to his furnace, something not right with the governor on it, we're gonna rebuild the carb on it tommorrow; they're on their way down to spend the night again.

Anyway, got a new movie for everyone to watch; Appaloosa, supposed to be a good western.

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    we was blessed no real bad weather it missed us

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    GLORY HALLELUJAH !! We got power restored this morning, so did our neighbors. (I'm still keeping the generator on standby, just in case)

I'm sympathizing/empathizing with all those across the country that still don't have it. Something like this every now and then brings a reality check to us spoiled americans; (we really are spoiled, you know).

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Lost power Wednesday morning and got it back Saturday night. Took grandparents to my aunts, she has room and power but I stuck it out at home. We had hot water and a gas fireplace so we were ok. When it got down to 10 degrees we camped out in the suv, nice and warm with a plug in TV! Will be buying a generator very soon.:wink:

13. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Still have ice everywhere in the yards and on the roads where the sun hasn't hit it but it's 55 here and it's melting off good so I am glad. Back to work tomorrow and I'm glad of that too. John working today and will all next week but at least he will have some time left if we get more later, and we will I bet Feb is usually our worst month, but maybe we got it over with! :cool2:

14. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Amen to that, Larry! I'm so glad y'all have juice again!
    All that extra work just tryin to survive sure does take alot out of ya.
    But it's great to hear how you and your neighbors were able to bless each other. It all comes back around, that's for sure... and maybe that's the point :)

Well, we breezed through this one, really. No power outage or limb/tree damage this time around. One thing it did, though, was bring to my own attention that the 2007 mess really did a number on my head. Can only describe it as a sorta "sitting duck" feeling... like waitin for the other shoe to drop. Kept thinkin any day that the power might go... and the dread was gettin pretty thick. Just another one of those things (of a long list) to practice shaking off, I guess. :wink:

Hope you can put up your feet now and soak up some relaxation!

Carolyn

15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    It stayed on my mind for 3 days Hope, I was worried sick it was gonna catch John on his way to get the propane, and strand him, he had to go about 35 minutes away to get it...and we had to come home first, then he had to go back. They had said that when it started coming it was gonna come fast and get bad QUICK and it was right too after it got started good it accumulated real quick!

We only were without for 2/3 days in 2007, but I am terrified of ice, my principal says if I see ice in the freezer I am not coming to school and he's about right. I tore my car all to HECK on slick freezing roads one time and I won't take a chance on that happening to me again. Slid about 50/60 feet down an embankment BACKWARDS in timber and just took my hands off the wheel, crossed my arms and put them over my face--all I could hear was limbs slapping my windows--and rode it out. I was belted and it was about midnight. It was a heck of a ride too, but I slid up against a good size tree and it stopped me but it tore my vehicle to pieces on that side.

When they wenched it up the hill the next morning and I got in it and drove off. LOL! But I been there and done that and NO ONE will have to worry about me driving on bad roads again! I am too scared of it after that!

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I bet I’ve heard at least a dozen comments similar to this since this storm; some retailers are already capitalizing with this line of thought in their advertising to sale gas logs, generators, etc. ‘Never again’.

I’d like to share some pointers/thoughts/advice, from my experience, for getting/being prepared for electrical outages strictly from the ‘do-it-yourself bare essentials’ perspective.

To save on the initial cost of purchasing a generator, decide whether you really need/want 240v capability. If it’s just a few 120v circuits that you can get by with, a simple switching around of the essential breakers at the breaker box to align them on the same buss will allow you to energize that buss from a 120v receptacle using a heavy extension cord with two male ends (keep the polarities straight with the male ends). I used my dedicated refrigerator circuit to back feed to the breaker box from the generator (ran the cord through the kitchen window). How many circuits you wish to energize simultaneously will determine the kw output you need from a generator. You’ll also have consider the wire size of the circuit you’re going to back feed from, although the breaker on that circuit should prevent any overloading. If you’re willing to manually sequence the breakers as you need them, you can get by with a smaller, less costly unit; which will be lighter and easier to tote, require less storage space, make less noise when running, and use less fuel.

I don’t understand everything I know about this, maybe someone that does know can provide comment. Some of these newer hi-efficiency furnaces with electronic control boards are real finicky about their power source and just seem to not like generator power for no apparent reason. I ran into this problem a few days ago, and another guy I know has voiced the same complaint. I’m sure there’s a trick here that I don’t know about.

Coleman lanterns, propane or white gas, are excellent sources of portable lighting and heat. We’ve lived for days at a time with as many as two burning continuously in the house with no ill effects.

By far the biggest problem with most homes these days during an electrical outage in cold weather is that the heat source requires electrical power. Consider the feasibility, especially if you have a basement, of installing a stand alone gas fired heater, that requires no external electrical power supply, as a backup heat source. You’ll be amazed at how much heat that will conduct through the floors or convect up the stairwell and break the chill in the house. This arrangement is far superior to gas logs in a fireplace, IMO.

Also, unless you're going to be using the 'backup' generator on a fairly regular basis, you'll need to periodically run it, preferrably monthly, to keep it in good operating order.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Yeah the gas logs werent great but better than nothing. Ive been picking brains and reading a lot on generators. Step dad is an electrician so I plan on having him check everything and see what works best. Will have to remember to mention the fancy computer furnace board, I think I have one, lol. I may also use the generator for working out side or for camping. I dont know if they make them but wonder if they have some with dual power outputs??? Meaning can I flip a switch to be cheap or have the option of big power, probably not.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If your step daddy's an electrician, you're fortunate, and he should be able to advise you more than I can about generators. Yea, I'd pick some brains about that furnace, there's something there I don't know about. If you find out let me know. Thanks Brian.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Finally got electricity back
    Well.......what a nightmare!!! 7 days and 6 nights with no electric. We managed to do all right here at my place though. I used my coleman lantern and candles , flashlights to see with. I used my fish fryer to heat the living room and to boil water. I used my coleman catylist heater in the bedroom and we actually managed to keep the chill knocked off. After the power went out at 4 am last tuesday morning....Trees could be heard cracking and breaking and falling for several days. I have 100's of trees, limbs, debris all over the yard and 1 big tree laying across my fishing van!!! The van doesn't appear to be damaged, but my privacy fence and dog pen is destroyed. I have an insurance adjuster supposedly coming soon to look it all over and hopefully cut me a big fat check.:wink:After 3 or 4 days...my deep freeze began to thaw out and I had to load up all the meats and veggies and take them to my local churches freezer and we didnt lose anything. We were Blessed! Lots of people have had it much worse. Lots of towns without any electric or phones or water. We still have a boil water advisory for Barkley water district, but I think it will be lifted tommorrow. We got our power back at 3:30 monday afternoon. It sure was good to get a piping hot shower and eat with good lighting. Its amazing how much we take for granted.
    The day after we lost power....I realized this could last a while. I was prepared for a small emergency, but not a 7 day emergency. I realized quickly....I was going to need more propane bottles. Phone calls and many wasted trips revealed that there was no propane for 100 mile radius from here. People were going to nashville and buying up propane bottles and generators. I went to Gallatin Tn (125miles) on thursday and bought up 36 bottles of propane(1lb) cylinders for my heaters and bought a buddy heater too! Wool blankets, bottled waters, AA batteries, coleman fuel, candles, lamp oil, and we just stayed inside mostly. I see now why people used to have 14 kids. There wasnt anything else to do, but make whoopy!!!!! and try to stay warm. Its good to be back!!!!:smile2:
    Since the power is back on now....I have about a years supply of camping and fishing supplies now!!!! I will be better prepared if this ever happens again!!!:crazy:

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing John...14 kids...LMBO......at least you've kept your sense of humor.