Ice out

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by rippinlips, Mar 20, 2008.

1. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    The ice out bite is on at lake odessa. My wife and I have been doing good. Going again today report to follow.

2. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Great News rippinlips. I have never fished there but I did go coonhunting way back when there in that area. Even brought the dog we were trying out.

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    rippin, good for you. i am impressed. my buddys got a cabin on sand run and we duck hunt there a fair amount. last year on two occasions, i went down there to catfish. on e in early june and then the 1st duck opener. caught 2 cats for a total of about 1/2 pound. i was kinda frustrated. i know the lake real well. but i guess not for cats... are you stickin to yankee chute or man i would be clueless. of course dont give out your secrets, but water depth? etc. there really are cats in there?

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Hey Mike. how do you get the boat around on the ice.:smile2:

5. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    There was oped water at the sand run ramp. we broke 1/4 inch ice down around the bend on the 16th and on the 20th the lake was wide open. Caught fish both times. Planning to go again on the 28th and the 29th.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    What type bait are you using for lake fishing thi stime of year.Want to see if it will work on those lock jawed Bowling Green Lake fish. Don't think they'd bite if you hit them ontop the head.

7. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    Shad gut mostly I use some small whole shad and some cut.Shad is the only thing that will work right now.

8. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa

Are you talking about Mark twain lake?

9. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i love fishing this time of year. no one else out too. gonna try to put up a pic of my hour and a half after work tonight on the miss.

Attached Files:

10. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    hey it worked. here is a pic of my very pregnant wife on sunday with a small cat. dang too big.. oh well.

11. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    The wife and I have been killin the catfish in the 1 1/2 to 3 pound range. The freezer will be full !!!!!!!

12. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We bowfish Odessa all the time but I have never catfished there. If u don't mind u asking could u suggest an area for a guy to try catfishing there?

13. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    This time of year just about any where on the lake. I usualy go to the pool at the south end of the inlet ditch , sand run or south around the bend from sand run. Taking the the camper to snivelys access this weekend to fish the entire weekend. What town do you live in?

14. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live in the country a few miles outside of Cedar Rapids. I come down to Odessa a lot during the spring and early summer months.

15. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sounds like ice fishing could be fun

16. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So how was fishin?
    I made a quick trip over there Saturday evening. Around 6ish.
    Only rig there had Muscatine plates on it so I figured it musta been yours. Nice outfit.
    I couldn't raise anyone and figured you musta run to town for something.
    Didn't have much time so we couldn't hang around.
    later
    just

17. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa

Sorry we missed you. We had gone to wapello to have dinner. Tha fishing was slow. We caught 15 cat fish and countless bullheads. We only caught eaters 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. We did run into a fella from winfield who had some larger cats that he gave us I would like to thank him again. I am going to try to get down to the get together hopefully we can meet there.