Ice Out

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Catfish_Calvin, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Looks like the warm weather today melted alot of the ice on the Mississippi and Skunk river. Has anyone been around Bonaparte to see if there still ice on the Des Moines river up there???

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa

3. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks for the link. That website could be pretty handy at times im sure!

I seen a few of your post you were talking about fishing at Oakland Mills. Ive never been there but im thinking about going down sometime soon to snag a few spoonbill. Is it pretty easy to find? Easy access to fish?

4. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Its easy to find and easy to fish but I've never heard of spoonbill being caught there.
    Its a good place to snag carp though.
    have a good one
    just

5. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oakland Mills isn't near as good as it once was. I remember fishing there a lot when I was a kid with my dad and it was much better than the past few years. Last year the fishing was ok but anymore everyone and their dog fish there and there are a lot of places that offer better fishing than Oakland Mills. Give it a try though but don't expect the best.

6. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The ice is out at keosauqua. There was quite the ice sham at Pittsburg ,but all is well and flowing fast and full. Time to start fishing.

Mike

7. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Seth and mike.

Post to everything you know anything about in order to get your 10 posts and then you can access pictures n stuff.

have a good one
    just

8. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks justwannano. Been a catfisher for years and just found this site,lots of info here.

Mike

9. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Ive heard of alot of people snagging good sized spoonbill at Oakland Mills. The guy at Rose's bait shop also said people have alot of luck snagging there. I worked up in Oskaloosa today and on my way home i checked out the Oakland Mills place. The water was UP. The campground and playground was flooded. I think ill stick to snagging under Dam 18 and 19. Bonaparte should be good also. I just like to try different places sometimes. Makes things more fun.

10. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Catfish_Calvin the snagging is great at Bonaparte, there is a lot of people that use that area. Sometimes it is a bit crowded but a lot of fish are caught.

Mike

11. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Yes i went there last year for the first time. Landed alot of big asian carp before i got my limit on spoonbill but those carp are tought to fight! I have a friend whos grandparents own the stretch of riverfront just downstream from the dam on the East side of the river. We had alot of fun down there.

Have you been seeing people down there snagging yet?

12. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'll ask around but I've lived and fished here for 40 years and don't recall any spoonbill taken out at oakland mills.
    You want to fish below the dam. You can snag on the south side off the old powerhouse platform and along the rocks along the s side bank. On the N side they snag off the platform on the North end of the dam.

So does a Rose still run Roses bait shop?
    I grew up just about 5 blocks from there.

13. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Ive only been going to Rose's for a little over a year but i know the owner is a man but his wife is usually there to run the place. They are good people. I believe Rose sold out a few years ago. Not 100% positive on that whole situation though.

14. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not sure what the Skunk looks like but the North Skunk near Sigourney, Iowa is predicted to crest 4 feet above flood level in the next day or so. I think it's going to be a wet Spring. Hopefully we get some nice warm days so the mushrooms pop out good again like last year.:big_smile:

15. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Right now both sigourney (N Skunk) and osky (S Skunk) are just above flood level.

16. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob you should get yourself a bad boy buggie.

17. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I haven't gotten down there yet but I will this weekend to see what is going on. Tonight in Keo the river looks almost perfect to fish, but the boat ramp is still full of ice and snow where they push it all off the streets. Let you know later about the snagging.

18. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    To answer your question about the owner of Rose's Bait Shop in West Burlington,the new owner is a guy from down around St.Louis. They just retained the name so as not to confuse people. I'm pretty sure he told me he has one or two more bait shops in the St.Louis area also. Not trying to steal this thread but thought I would throw my 2cents worth in.

19. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    So tell me about a bad boy buggie

have a good one
    just

20. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    By golly Glen you get around:smile2:
    So did the guy get the Whiskers catfish bait recipe also?