ice out fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by payton350, Feb 18, 2009.

1. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am going out this weekend to od some ice out channel fishing, the lakes just thawed out this week around here, it is still pretty cold though in the 30's but I have been told that ice out can be as good as if not better than other times of the year, so we will see what happens.

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What is the water temp in the lake that you are going to be fishing? Let us know what the water temp is and how you do.

3. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will do that for sure.

4. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went fishing friday afternoon and got a couple 2 pounders using shrimp in 4 to 5ft of water the water temp was 38 degrees, not much to talk about as far as size goes but at least I caught a couple.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What part of Iowa do you live in? What lake was you fishing? What kind of bait did you catch your 2 fish on? I was surprised to hear the water temp was 38 already. Sorry about all of the questions just curious where you were fishing at and what with.

6. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't mind the questions, I live in southwest part, last week the temps got up to about 60 on one of those days when in the mid 50's it rained then we had a hell of a snow, but since then it hasn't been colder than the mid 30's during the day and we have had some pretty sunny days, on friday it was around 43 degrees outside and today it is suppose to be about the same. I was using some old 60/80 shrimp that I have had around for a while with a 6/0 circle hook, I was fishing at lake mannawa from shore, some of the lake had iced back over a little but the shallows were ice free, I got the water temp and depth reading from my rf25 humming bird smartcast fish finder a handle little piece of equipment when fishing from shore. When you go out to the lake you just see guys going around hitting up the shallows catching smaller channels and gills one guy was out there with a throw net catching bait. Like I said I don't mind the questions. I am sorry if I am not very clear and detailed.

7. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Congratulations on catching a few Aaron. Thanks for the report on the water conditions. Used to live in Waterloo, Iowa. Fished the Cedar River alot. Thinking about hitting up some of our back water area's next warm day we get. Need to break in some new gear.

8. barbelboy

barbelboy New Member

State:
    MN
    Payton350,
    I often fish for cats right after ice out up here in MN. Last year I was fishing on a lake with a river running into it. The only open part of the lake was where the river ran into it. Actually we catch 'em ice fishing up here too. Typically lighter biters, but you can still get into them. Caught a 17lb on March 27 last year.

9. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    This is interesting, I just read a great article on this subject today. The writer brings up a great point in that a lot of smaller fish and whatnot will die because of the cold temperatures and the scarcity of food. So when these fish start floating, they will normally gather at one point of the lake that has thawed and their decomposing bodies will draw the hungry predators to these areas. Makes me want to go look for some floaters. The only drawback to this theory is for situations like mine where my pond has about 700 birds sitting on it all the time right now and they happen to like those floating fish too :smile2:

-tang-