ice out catfish in Perry Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by n2fishn, Feb 25, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Was at Perry this weekend and the ice is breaking up should be clear by this weekend.Seen thousands of dead shad under the ice.With some south winds should get the cats going on the mud flats.Plan to takle boat and try on Sat Will post on how we do.

The old boat wont know what to do with open water.For the last three weekend's i been sorta hard on her breaking ICE!

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I can't wait for the ice to break up. Clinton was completely covered yesterday when CJ and I were there. Did get some lines wet though,they were letting out a ton of water from the spillway. No luck at catching any though.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    With the wind and a little warmer temp this week I 'm think it will clear the ice off.
    I heard Perry was releasing about 1500 cf also.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I was really suprised that it was up so much. It was running abut the same and at the same level as last spring when we had all the rain.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i am tempted but i am to chicken to try till it gets warmer

6. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's good news, thanks for the report. If the weather indeed holds out I will
    be on the water either at Perry or the MO river, maybe both, Sat and Sun.
    I, like most everyone right now, am really jonesing to get back on the water.

7. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Finally get the weather and everyone has made plans for me. Pickup the slack out there this weekend for me guys. :crazy:

8. SheLuvsCats

SheLuvsCats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey ya all!!
    I don't mean to be rude and crude but WHERE IS PERRY LAKE. I've never heard of it. And hey, if there are fish there. I need to find them. Suffering from cabin fever these days. Let me know and have a great day............:baffle:"I'm needing to fish..........."

9. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    cathy,perry is between topeka and lawrence off of hwy 24,and YES there is some good fishin to be done there.

10. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sounding good to me sir!

11. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Tom,this might be a strange question but,did you used to be a roofer?the reason i ask is that i know 2 tom's that fish mainly the lakes you do and they both have told me about flipping the rocks for cats.maybe just a coincidence,but there just might be 3 tom's out there flippin rocks:smile2:

12. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Go to this site http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N39+08.659+W95+29.372&hl=en&x=12&y=10and zoom in and out and pan around to see where Perry is and exactly how to get there.

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Tried Perry on Sunday in the flats in rock Creek caught two cats about 3-4lbs.The wind would not lets us fish it very good even using poles drove into the bottom to tie off too.Used cut shad I picked up in the marine.Fish were in 4' of water.Looks real good with lots of dead shad.When they stop releasing water and with warmer weather fishing should improve there.

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Not me Calbe I must be the other Tom..Hee!Hee!
    I'm sure there are others out there fishing the banks i just dont ever seem to see anyone.
    I been doing it ( Rocks/banks) for over 20yrs and still love it,give it a try this yr and hold on.

15. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i will try it more this year.i have tried it in the past and caught a few but nothing like what others talk about:confused2:

16. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Caleb not sure what part of Kansas you are from but I'm here in Topeka and if you are close and you would like to try it this year i would be glad to take you out. Once it gets going there is about three weeks if the weather is stable where it can be pretty good.

I hit it hard during those weeks and your more than welcome to come along.When it really gets hot I will hit Perry after work, only takes me about 25 min from home to be in the water.Some of my best times have be in the evening hours to sundown.

17. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Tom,im in topeka also and i might just take you up on the invite.maybe you can show me what im doing wrong:confused2::big_smile:let me know when the time comes and i will see if i can sneak off for an evening.

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Caleb sounds good.

If you cant make it in the evening time we can go on a weekend.Early mornings are good as well.

"Slapping cats on the rocks"

19. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    slappin cats on rocks even sounds fun saying it:smile2:i have caught nice channels on light gear before but nothing consistent.sounds like a plan.also if you decide to fish clinton sunday,i plan on putting in at the state park about 7ish if ya would like to meet up.there will prob be some other members here fishing sunday also.

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Sounds good i might see you at Clinton on Sunday.It depends on the wind.One thing about Clinton you can chase Wipers if the cats wont bite.
    I'll know Friday where I will be going.