Ice Maker

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by dg775577, May 11, 2006.

1. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Has anyone installed an ice maker (the refrigerate/freezer type) in a chest type freezer? Looks to me like it would work, you could have a large container to catch it and have alot of ice on hand eliminating the need to buy bagged ice. I you have done this supply some details about the mounting and etc. I think I am going to give this a try if I can come up with the hardware.

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Should work, there has to be coils in the walls for freezing so be careful when you drill when mounting.
    Keep us posted on how it works.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    If there are any auctions around you could possibly buy a used fridge with one in it and remove it then make boxes, fill with buss bedding put in fridge part and have crawlers all summer or....you can buy the ice makers at just about any appliance store. Just install and hook up water supply. I know Sears sells them.

4. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think this is a good idea! i used to work in a refrigerator factory, maytag.if you buy the icemaker kit it will probably not have the water valves in it. they are usually installed at the factory so the frige is ready for the kit. i would find a junk unit and just take the whole deal off of it. you would have to mount the valves in the back, you can't have them freeze,then run the water line into the freezer. a couple of wires, and your good to go. if it just dumps into the freezer, you won't even need the auger. as far as drilling the cabinet goes, if you go thru the side, staying away from the edges, you should be ok. the coil will be on the back or in the bottom.
    good luck, i might try this myself!
    catwacker
    ps. the mounting studs would be easy to remove from the old fridge. they just go into the plastic liner. drill a hole just thru the liner, don't go deep!

5. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the responses. Your answers have raised a couple more questions. As far as mounting the unit to the wall, I am now thinking that it might be better to mount the icemaker to a piece of heavy plastic like a piece of corian or a plastic cutting board and glueing that to the wall. Surely 3M or one of those guys makes an adhesive that would work for this. I figured the unit would be over the "hump" in the lower left of the freezer where the compressor is, going straight down through that for the power connection. The water valve could be mounted in the compressor compartment also. Now about the water fill line, would it need to go straight through the wall into the ice maker to keep it from freezing?

6. shadow0000

shadow0000 New Member

State:
    california
    Maybe you try to ask some person that can repair it well or maybe try to look some site that are related in some site about ice maker...

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Keep us updated on your project. I was thinking about the same thing last summer. Sacked Ice is starting to get ridiculous in price. But I cant afford a commercial Ice machine ether! I never thought about the water valve, but I did price the Ice maker at Lowes.
    Good Luck,
    Rob

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I freeze gallon and quart milk bottles. Also bag the ice from the icemaker about once a day to bread sacks. Any spare room in the big freezer gets filled with ice.