Ice fishing

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by brasmunky, Jan 22, 2007.

1. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    SO THERE I WAS.... it was about 15 degrees and windy as all get out. there was a pond i have been meaning to try for about 5 years now. we finally made it out there saterday and again on sunday. i figured there would be about 5 inches of ice like all the other lakes in the area but this one had 12. luckly i brought the gas auger we started fishing and only caught 2 in about an hour. so we moved and just started to slay some rainbows. all together we caught close to 70 or so between the 2 of us. nothing impressive but most were 10-16 inches so it was fun.

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Glad to hear you caught some fish Dan, i was supposed to go ice fishing this morning but woke up with a severe sore throat.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, needless to say, since I've been in NC I haven't done a hole heck of a lot of ice fishing! I miss it, congrats on the 'bows. I've never been in an area that had trout in a pond. We used to fish dead of winter though in the creeks with enough current to keep them open, or I'd drift wax worms under the ice from the open current side.

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wat to go Dan. At least you got a line in the water. I got froze out this weekend. Stayed home and did honey-dos.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Must have been a stocked pond, anywho great fishing day hope you kept a few for the table.

Wheelmobile07

6. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    the pond is a mix of stocked and wild. i dont think anybody else really fishes there much. its pretty far out in the sticks. usually i give away all the trout i catch, i just havent found a way to cook them to get rid of the fishy taste. we just call them slim rockets