Ice Fishing!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Who's hitting the hard water this winter? I know I will be out there! :big_smile: I really enjoy the ice fishing, its a great way to get through the long cold winter months! I would go completely nuts waiting for spring without my ice fix! :wink: :big_smile:

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'm chomping at the bit to get out there. I'll probably have to drive north of Pittsburgh to find good ice. I did fish canonsburg lake a few times but I like a little more variety. Perch is what I'm after.

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Oh I cant wait. Ice is forming nice right now. hopefully safe ice next weekend so I can catch some bait for this spring. Hopefully by 3 weeks I can fish the ice on the river:0a32:

4. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

hey scott have you used jigging rapalas tiped with a minnow? I just started using them on rivers and lakes when ice fishing. I caught alot of fish using the medium size one. I caught well over 100 walleye using this. Also swedish pimples work awesome with a minnow. I started using larger minnows on my tip ups and got some nice bass and musky using 4-6 inch minnows and suckers.

5. I would like to try it some day. I have most of the gear. I have a hand auger though. Not very motivated to use that.:confused2:

6. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I feel your pain. You gotta love drilling holes by hand when the ice is over 12 inches :smile2: You drill 5 holes and you feel like you were at the gym for 4 hours

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Imagine baitfishing for flatheads, but you freeze your ass off!

Or imagine being on the NPT and catching sunnies in the dead of winter while your raisins shrivel!:wink::smile2:

I like all kinds of fishing and am willing to give everything a shot, but ice fishing isn't for me.:cool2:

8. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Come on it aint that bad. Just get some tip ups with some big bait (not 20 inch bass!:wink:) 4-6 inch minnows and wait for the flag. while you are waiting you are catching perch and gills for the spring

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    When the sun's shining and your sitting in your black ice tent, it gets pretty warm even without a heater

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If I had a legit shot at a musky or even northern pike, I would!

Never have caught any essox critters!:crazy::sad2:

11. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tip-up fishing is fun! Get them set, fry up some venison, and crack open a brew. All at just after sunrise.

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was up in Sodus Bay on Ontario one year and caught 8 pike on tip-ups.
    My only ice fishing musky came while perch fishing, it was 12":smile2:

13. Now THAT'S fishn hoss.:big_smile:

14. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Cant wait for the hard water to form, all the ponds I've seen are froze over. If the weather holds should have safe ice in a week or two, then just need to decide wether to go fishin or muzzleloader huntin. Why do things have to be so complicated:eek:oooh:

15. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Usually while I'm waiting I am catching a buzz, screw the perch and gils! :wink:

16. LMAO!!!!:tounge_out::wink::smile2:

17. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    It must be cold where you fish.Down here in chester county sometimes I'd turn the handle 3-4 times and hit water:eek:oooh::smile2:

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Cant wait to hit the hard water. Last year we got screwed out of most of the season because of the weather. Got a brand new sweet 10 acre pond to fish this year that I think is stacked with slab gills. Hasnt been fished at ALL in over 4 years. Might be some stunted fish in there but I'll do my best to thin the herd.:big_smile: Almost all the ponds round here are froze and I went past Moraine yesterday and it was almost all froze over except some little spots way out in the middle off of Bear Run. I also was at Pymatuning on Wednesday and almost all the lake on the west side of the causway is froze. If the weather keeps up we could actually be on the ice at the beginning of January this year and not the end of January like last year. Guess I wont be gettin as much steelhead fishin in as I did last year though:confused2:

19. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Thickest ice I ever fished was at prompton dam. Ice was 22 inches thick THANK GOD I brought the gas auger

Also the lakes around my area are frozen over. If I drive to a lake 45 minutes north from me, I can be fishing on 4 1/2 inches of ice :roll_eyes:. But never fished it so i'm going to wait. One thing I cant stand is fishing a lake for the first time when your ice fishing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
  20. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Safe ice in the southeast runs in cycles.The back coves always freeze,but it has to be real cold to freeze the whole lake(only happens every couple years)Unless I was fishing new ice,I never even took an auger.There's always acouple guys with power augers,that make the ice look like swiss cheese:smile2:.I just take an iron wrecking bar and bust the skim ice in a vacant hole and start fishing.:big_smile:I haven't bothered in acouple years.Guaranteed safe winter ice is at least an hour away.You have to get on the other side of the blue mts.,heading towards the poconos