Ice fishing

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jrgriffhusker, Dec 7, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Who's got the gear out and is ready to go? I do and I'm so ready. Got the drill all warmed up and running good. Went thru the jigs and I'm about to order my wax worms.

Hey Frank and Don I might not be to the gathering to awful early. I may stop in Aurora at a private pond that is just plain FULL of 13 inch Crappie. May have to turn the party into a fish fry also. Is there an ice on any of the ponds out there yet?

2. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Just can't get into ice fishing?!? It always seems to damn cold, and cold. You catch cats through the ice?? I think that is the other reason I don't ice fish is because all I ever catch is small gills, crappies or bass.

3. bigmikeg

bigmikeg New Member

State:
    nebraska
    ice fishing can be fun i enjoy it any how. why not have an ice fishing get together some time. havnot seen any official fishable ice yet

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    do ya'll catch any big cats through the ice or is it all bait?:smile2:

5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i went ice fishing one time,it was alright,caught a 5 gal. bucket full.But it all melted before i got home with it.:sad2:

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've caught several big flatheads thu the ice,jigging a spoon,but I think I got lucky and dropped right into their winter hole,never have caught another flat other than that day,caught plenty of nice channels too. We have about three to four inches of ice on the smaller ponds,this cold weather has ice growing quick the last couple days,waiting for the blizzard tonight will slow that down if any snow stays on the ice and doesn't blow away(which it usually does) I havn't gone to check any bigger ponds because it's friggin cold out there. I know where everything is as far as gear,it should be ready to go whenever I get to it,and it warms up a little. Gotta go put down a dog my wife dragged home talk to you all later.

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Well that was interesting,the wife saved a dog here a couple weeks ago from being put down because the folks who owned him moved to town and couldn't have a dog,he was actually having me thinking he was a good dog (1/2 german shorthair and 1/2 choc. lab) until my youngest boy sat there petting hiim for five minutes then the dog suddenly jumped up and took my boy to the ground stood over him shaking and growling with his arm clamped in his mouth,the dog is no longer among us. Boy is okay except from being shaken up and some nasty bite indents on his arm,good thing he was wearing a long sleeve shirt or it would have been deep punctures. I'm pretty leinient with our dogs,and they get into alot of trouble,but touch one of my kids in anger,then there is no mercy from me.

Now back to ice fishing,I will wait till the ice is thick as I'm fat and the weather is above 20 degrees to go.

8. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    we caught several channels last dec. most of them wouldn't fit through the hole using small pices of cut shad.... they are fun to catch on one of them rods

9. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I haven't been out to check the depth of ice out here yet. I don't think it's been cold enough to put up 3 good inches of ice on any big body of water. And the farm pond I always fish is well feed so it hardly ever freezes the whole lake and makes for some scary fishing sometimes. I drilled a hole out my first time last Jan and it spider webbed for like 12 ft. Talk about making the peaches draw up. That'll do it for sure.

10. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What body of water did you fish in December to catch those cats??

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Cabella's aquarium:smile2:

12. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    down by langdon missouri a place we call the sand dunes

13. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I talked to a friend tonight who dug a hole in Enders this week after work. He says we have 4 inches of ice. That inspired me to fire up the auger tomorrow after work and go check for myself. Maybe put in some minnows and see if I can catch some crappie at night.

14. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    good luck and be carefull

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Once this cold snap gets done the ice should be plenty thick,I don't like the negative temp readings for a high daily temp,Brrrrrrr. I'm still as tough as I used to be,just smarter,at least thats what I tell myself!

16. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    4 inches is pushing for my fat a$$ out on a lake..

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I've only tried ice fishing once. Some friends invited me to go with them to the Fort Kearney ponds. After freezing for 2 hours watching the rod tip(s) do nothing, I realized, I would sooner prefer fishing in warmer weather. Don't get me wrong, I've fished Canada in the snow and for Walleye in January with ice collecting on the rod tip. But I like spring and summer Cattin' the best. I'm game for ice fishing, if I was catching fish consistently and staying comfortable doing it. LOL!!

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
  19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.