Ice-Fishing Today!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 17, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fishing didn't go well today. Here where I live in the south eastern part of Ohio, the ice isn't good. I had that feeling. I drilled some test holes the other day. Went this afternoon to a local, shallow lake for that reason. This lake freezes usually twice as thick than most other ponds etc. usually, because of how shallow it is. However, all the snow we got has blanketed the ice, insulating it from good freeze! Making it tough for good ice and safe fishing conditions ! There was around 2 1/2 inches the other day, and today wasn't much better! We had around an inch or so more today after all this cold weather. Unbelievable! Should have had atleast a few more inches!! The best ice was off the banks out until 30 yrds. where the snow had drifted off the lake making for stronger freezing. After that the snow was thicker and the ice was wetter! I drilled some more holes, but could easily tell the difference in the hardness of the ice, and the ice was actually sinking with my weight. I went back towards the bank where it was much more safe and setup there. I like to fish, but we all should do it safely! I posted some pictures that explain this below. I have plans on Monday to go, but will carefully look, and check out the areas before hand! Be carefull everyone! It's been cold, but that doesn't make for safe ice-fishing conditions!!! The first pic. is where I fished, second the bad ice starting, and the third where I was fishing, looks wet, but thats after I cleaned the holes.. Pretty safe ice there .... rollo

Attached Files:

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You know...I gave up ice fishing several years ago. One winter, I built a nice little fishing hut in the middle of a lake up in Minnesota. When I went back in late spring it was gone! :confused2::eek:oooh:

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Out checking traps today, I found ice from scale ice to 4.5 inches thick. Some place there was and inch of ice then an inch or more of air space and then a couple inches of ice under that ... Very unstable conditions.

That was good advice you gave Jason ... thanks ..... Garry-

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The first is where we setup, you can see the start and seperation of the low snow blanket to the thicker. Second is a prefered jig I like. Third is my neighbor that went went me. Remember! Ice-fishing isn't a sport to do alone, make sure you bring a life-jacket with rope tied off, and ice-piks, or anything to help you or another if something bad would happen... rollo

Attached Files:

5. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I'm heading out in the morning. Going north a little ways and trying for some pike and gills. The ice is supposed to be about a foot thick and the guy I'm going with caught a bunch of gills today. Hope the pike are hitting.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goodluck to you Joe.. Pike would be a blast!!!! I may check out some strip pits tomorrow down in the hills to see if they are in better shape....rollo

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    great advice and hope everyone listens to ya.

8. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Good luck to you guys and please be safe. Nice info jason about safety on the ice. Best for a buddy plan system and all the safe gaurds.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    very nice video Jeff, thanks for sharing.... rollo

11. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Went out today and we didn't do bad. Got about 150 bluegill, 1 pike, 1 bass, 4 perch, and 3 crappie. Had about 10 inches of good ice with lots of slush on top.

12. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Congrats Joe on a good day out. Expecting an invite to the fish fry...lol...