Ice fishing for catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by stinkbaiters, Feb 5, 2007.

1. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois
    this may sound like a stupid question, but has anyone ever ice fished for cats? I keep thinking there has to be a way, but so far absolutly no luck. However some nice slabs have been pulled up. I am still hunting for the trophy cat. I just did not want to miss any oppertunities, so any of you vetrans can help I'd appreciate it. If it's not possible then someone tell me. Thank's ya'll

2. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hello stink yes it is possible

3. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    would u like 2 know how ?

4. Ole Jim

Ole Jim New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    River, temp right now is 8 degrees, wind chill -13 degrees and thinking....yeah, I know there might be a few hungry cats under that ice, but then I remember I am 70 and in my nice warm home. I whisper a promise to those cats that I'll be out there in the spring....so it's back to organizing my tacklebox for now.

5. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great Answer Jim

I will keep experimenting and let ya know hahah!!!

6. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yes!! Please enlighten me hahahaha

7. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    i just went ice fishing several days ago and a guy next to me was using minnows as bait on a deep part of the lake.. his tip up went down and from the feel of it he thought he had a good size northern pike.. what he got was a great sized channel catfish with a body that couldn't fit through the ice hole.. so why he was still playing the fish with his hands his buddy was enlargening the hole by cutting a couple more holes adjacent to the hole.. out came a 14 lb channel cat. i was quite impressed..

several minutes later, his buddy pulls out a 38 inch, 13 1/2 lb Northern Pike..

you should've seen the way they were jumping up and down...

it was a terrible day for ice fishing though, 20 mph winds with even stronger gusts and -20 windchill... heater didnt feel like it was working and the shanty kept moving around..

8. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What lake were you on that you caught northerns? Ive caught cats through the ice before but it was just a couple when i was going for crappie. I was using wax worms.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my old work buddie was just telling me last week he and jeff (the fella that owns the pond) caught a few gills a bass or two a 14" crappie and several channels through the ice. didnt say what they were using for bait.