Ice fishing for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by neocats, Dec 20, 2006.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have a friend who wants to take me ice fishing for my first time...for catfish.
    I pride myself on being able to catch cats when its warmer, but I have never tried in the winter, especially not ice fishing. Since I don't want to look like a total idiot, someone give me some advice on what to expect.
    Do I need special gear or will my normal rod and reels work?

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am actually leaving in a little while to go ice fishing, but, I can give you some tips before I go. First, what is your normal gear ? Are you going after channels ?

Here's my typical set-up for channels on ice. 32-48 inch medium ice rod spooled with 10 pound Silver thread excalibur. You can use larger rods, but you don't need 7+ footers. I fish out side of a shanty. I have an ice auger (hand type). I use either jigs tipped with a crawler or minnow - sometimes just jigs with plastic grubs. Use electronics (like a flasher or an LCD with real time read out). Fish in the deeper holes or deep extended flats that have some structure associated with it. The fish will be suspended off the bottom by a few feet and typically will be in schools.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Jeff here in Iowa,(council Bluffs) during the winter on lake Manawa they have a fishing derby and there are always Channel cats cought durning it and they catch them on jigs and minnows. so yes they can and are cought. like memtioned above you need to use a shorter rod as it's easier to handle especialy in the encloser of a ice shack. Good luck. J.D.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    thanks for the info guys.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I caught a 28" Channel Cat through the ice a few years back. It was taken on a polar tip-up baited with a live fathead minnow. It seems each season I manage to catch 1 catfish. I never went out specifically targeting them and don't think they are real active feeders under the ice but it is possible to catch them. That's been my experience anyhow! Photo of the 28" attached!

Attached Files:

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ice fishing is one thing I will NEVER be able to do in NC!!!

7. Semper_Fi

Semper_Fi New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I've caught them up here in NE Pa. while fishing for bluegills on a tiny jig tipped with a wax worm. That's a real challenge on 2 to 4 lb test line and a 20" pole. Luckily they don't fight with the same vigor they do when the water is warmer!

Ernie