Ice fishing for catfish anyone?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by river scum, Jan 28, 2007.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i wondered if anyone planned to try ice fishing for cats this winter. if you have in the past please tell us what you've found to work.

i have caught a few cats through the ice,but they were just flukes. one was caught on a gill set and beemoth. the other hit a plastic lure called the puddlejumper,fished for bass. i have a pond not far from home that has some good channels in it. i hope this year to spend some time probing the holes this year and learning a bit about mid winter cats. your opinions and facts will be welcome reading.

thx: tim

2. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Boy, I sure have had luck when the ice starts to melt and the moving water greates holes in the ice where the tiles, small streams, and valleys lead to the lake. I usually use crawlers.

3. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    At my local lake i usually start to fish as soon as the ice is safe. I use a vexilar fl-18 flasher, to try and find the deepest water in the lake wich is only about eight feet. I think they gather here for slightly warmer water. But i use 1/4 ounce jigs color dosent seem to matter and tip it with some cut carp or something similar and hold it about a foot off the bottom and pump it every 30 seconds or so. But if you have sonar use it because i have seen them roll by as much as 4 feet of the bottom. Good luck:big_smile:

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    First you need to go buy a good twist or pouch tobacco. Then you wait till the fish is chewing a big wad and when he comes up to spit, you hit him with a bat. lol Vern

5. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Nice answer vern....lol. Only you kentucky boys would say that. :big_smile:

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that makes sence,with the hole in the ice they have to come up rite there! thx vern ill try it. lol

7. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I don't know where you are fishing, but two years ago I was fishing a farm pond for gills and crappie and everytime I got my bee moth to close to the bottom I caught a nice channel. Went back the next day with chicken livers and put them on the bottom with no bites at all. I immediately went back to bee moths and wham I started catching them again. I live on the Tippecanoe River and have noticed while fishing with bee moths for red ear sunfish I will catch quite a few channels. My point being bee moths definately have some type of flavor or smell that cats like. The only difference through the ice, in my opinion is that they wanted the smaller bait. Just like bass fishing in cold water, slow down and scale down. Try it, Good luck!!!!!!!!!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree rick,normal baits havent worked for me either under ice. you dont live far from my in-laws rick. they also live on the tippy down from oakdale. we will have to hook up next year for a bit of flathead chasin,when im over there. father in-law dont know anything about the flats in there. he says there arent many,but i think there should be with the bash so close.

tight lines all:tim

9. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    River Scum, Yes your inlaws are a little ways up river from me, but in the spring when the water is high keep me in mind. There are some great Flats in the river, and there are plenty of them. The problem is there are so many gar. I use redear sunfish mostley for bait, on banklines and rod and reel, and the gar steal your fish most of the time before the flats can get to it. Still when the water is high hook up with me, I can run my boat all the way to the dam in these conditions. I can pick you up and see if we can't get into a thirty some pounder!!!!

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well i sure appriciate that bud!!!! thx

11. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I went to a small farm pond stocked with cats. Before all the snow was on the ice I was catchting a fish about every 5 minutes , smaller ones on bee moths, bigger ones with chicken liver. Went back Firday only got 2 fish in an hour. Oh yah, when they are frozen and been out of water for over an hour in 5* weather and you put them in a bath tub of cold water they come back to life, very livey too. :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: