ice fishing anyone?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by river scum, Nov 23, 2005.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if any of you guys ice fish,maybe we can get a small gathering up this winter. if anyone is interested speak up on here. i think(and hope) ice is comin early this year! :D

2. iccats

iccats New Member

State:
    morgantown, Indiana
    i have never been ice fishing before

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    been ice fishing a lot when I resided in ALaska, haven't been in years. DO you guys take out shelters or just weather it? What are the temps like when you go?

I will be in IN starting in mid Feb.

-Brian

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    usually we run n gun a bit,so no shanty. the temp are mild for the most part. can get into some below zero days but you just put your back to the wind bro. lol

5. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey River I will join you ice fishing. Just let me know, maybe I will bring some skips to try.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that would be great mike i have to see how the pike like them. we fish hamilton alot for pike and bass. cant wait to drop one of those stinkin things down a hole!

7. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yea I'm ready to give it a try.It won't be long with this weather.

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

Ice fishing for Pike is fun. We used to use hearing, put in on the hook slightly angled up. Pike used to slam it.

-Brian

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    If any of you fellas feel adventurous and wish to ice fish here in michigan, just PM me and we will plan a trip.

I happen to enjoy ice fishing but I will not go unless there is a good layer of ice under me and I will not go alone. When those parameters are met, the party is on.

I am just posting a welcome sign here- If Indiana doesnt get enough ice for you fellas, you're only in my backyard so dont hesitate to jump the border and pop on up.... from my house to Elkhart is aout 2 hours and 15 minutes- so you have an idea of the short drive time.

The 4 wheeler is ready to go and the mister heater's got a full tank

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for the invitation sal,thats real nice of you ! that just mite have to happen. can you give a bit of info on were what and how you like to fish brother? we usually jig and tip-up for pike n bass and crappies. the panfish thing gets done a bit also i especially love perch. yummy ;)

11. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey River when do you want to go

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I fish anywhere there is at least 4 inches of ice or more. Im even hesitant on 4 cause I like my 4 wheeler to cart my 300lb carcasss around, plus all my stuff.

My new wintering hole is a private lake called Rainbow Lake.... primarilycause there is little pressure, it is close by, and I got freaking lucky and got a year pass. lol

I have been out on Saginaw Bay many times, and Lake Cadillac a few times, buty my favorites are the polaces way up there- Otsego Lake in the northern Lower Peninsula and Little Bay De Noc in the upper.

I have always targeted gills and perch specifically myself, though I usually take my buddy who doubles up and goes for pike while Im on the gills. When the gills stop and disappear, we both drop for pike with live bait- it is an obvious indicator.

My favorite place of all is Otsego Lake- My brother and I have filled 5 gallon buckets with the limit of 10-15 inch perch on many more than one occasion. The place is perch heaven in the winter.

I want to get an ice gathering for michigan folks together with you guys- What do you think?

link to the michigan page: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=65578#post65578

Let me know what the interest is and where you all would like to make it work. I'd say the best bet for central michigan would be saginaw Bay, but we could take tis to the west side of the state or over toward Jackson if you like. Also, we could jump the border and fish Indy as well.... it all depends on concensus and funds, right?

Lets start the chatter and make something come of it.

-sal

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    carp your the workaholic so you tell me ;) .

sal that ice gathering would be a blast,especially if perch are invited. are you goin to put a post in the michigan thread about it too. i bet we can get a few folks interested.

14. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well river scum & carp I did manage to walk out on my pond today. wont be long now :p

15. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I tried to walk out on our the county park pond by the office Friday, but it was really soft. The ice was thick (1.5 - 2") but was not near strong enough to hold me. My thermometer said 4 degrees this morning...I bet it will hold today! We were supposed to shock MUE at last night...sure glad there was too much ice!!!

16. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    You guys go on that thin stuff....

Yikes.

I dont even think about it till its 4+. I will still hesitate after a snow if the weather dips above freezing. Thats when that stuff honeycombs. eek

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    goin tomorow! sal, we tie helium ballons to our belts bro. so we dont weigh much. lol 2in. of good hard ice will do the trick,and that time is here woooohoooo baby.

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    HEY- BE CAREFUL.

seriously.

talk to ya soon.

19. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    The county park pond had about three inches yesterday. It was 5 degrees again this morning...should be plenty safe on at least the ponds now...I would be cautious about going out on a lake though! Looks like its hockey at lunch today!

River Scum: I might be able to make it out next weekend (17th) if you guys are going.

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well matt we are fishin all the time bud u know that,and your always welcome. me and polcat fished his pond today for a bit,but no bites.

4 in. of ice sal so ill be around fer a bit yet. lol