Ice crystal rainbow(?)

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's a picture of what I'll call a "rainbow" this afternoon in town. Had all the colors of a rainbow, was a big arc, colors don't show up as good as seeing it. The wind was blowing pretty hard on the ground, must've been a lot stronger up there.
    I'm thinking it may just have been ice crystals, or snow(?) refracting the sunsets rays, just like a rainbow would. It was really pretty neat.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's a snowbow! Cool. :snowman:

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    It was pretty neat Jim. I could see it from my house too. It was almost like a strait up and down rainbow from here.

4. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
    gary lezak here in kc said that is an artic fenom, i guess alaska sees those on a regular basis but very uncommon for us down this way....ice crystals suspended or being blown around with the sun behind it

5. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    Wow that would have been something cool to have seen. Thanks for sharing!!:cowboy:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the pic Jim, that was very neat. Wish I could have seen it in person.:disapointed:

7. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Great picture Jim , seen one myself Tuesday or so . WIBW meteorologist showed a picture of one and said it was a rare Sun Dog.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing Jim. Regardless of what its called, it sure is neat.

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Bill is right, they are called SunDogs. I have never heard of them before. I will keep an eye out for them from now on though.
    Sun dogs, also called mock suns, are colored, luminous spots caused by the refraction of light by six-sided ice crystals in the atmosphere. These bright spots form in the solar halo at points that are 22 degrees on either side of the sun and at the same elevation as the sun.
    http://cumbriansky.wordpress.com/2008/12/22/keep-an-eye-on-the-sun/

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Aaaaah Kyle, you beat me to it. They had a pic on the front page of the local rag, that's what they are called, "Sun Dogs", they're caused by what I suspected, ice crystals being blown up in the air, and refracting(even got the word right):Happy: the sunlight.
    the rag did have a lot nicer picture of them, they showed two, one on each side of the sun. I could see them both, just didn't have enough width on my camera to view them both. I just took a pic of what I thought would show up the best.
    First time I've ever seen one too. When I lived in Buffalo, we'd see the Northern lights all the time, but never one of these, I probably didn't pay much attention to stuff like this back then.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody notice the short video on the KDWP website today? It was about the sun dogs that Jim saw on Milford lake a while ago. http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/

12. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    That is pretty rare to see ice crystals blowing like that. WTG with the camera. Thanks for sharing the sight

13. dolphinshubby

dolphinshubby New Member

State:
    kansas
    it was jay desperately digging his boat out:laugh1::laugh1:

[​IMG]