Ice Chest for Livewell

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by dominoman, Apr 17, 2008.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Does anybody use a large ice chest for a live well? Looking to put a 100qt in where I can use an areator. Want to make it removable. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    I had a 120 qt ice chest that I had poked a couple of thru hull fittings in. I then put a bilge pump in the bottom of my motor pod [ pontoon boat ] ran a clear plastic tube, switch etc. One of the thru hulls was mounted lower than the one for filling and used as an overflow, make the over flow a bit bigger. good luck Jerry

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I made up one like that back in the late 70s, when I lived in Florida, so I'd have a way to take pinfish out on the partyboats. Because I had to be able to carry it onto the boat filled with water and baitfish, I used a Coleman 36-quart size. I took a 12v bilge pump, then attached a rack of 1/2" pvc pipe so that one piece ran just under the top, from one end to the other; I drilled small holes in the bottom of that pipe so that water would spray down onto the surface of the water. This provided both cooling and aeration of the water so that the baitfish would have plenty of oxygen. I attached the bilge pump to a plain old 12v car battery. Even on 2 day trips, we always ran out of baitfish before the battery ran down. One nice thing about rigging the cooler this way was that everything just lifted right out of the cooler so that it could be used for more normal purposes. For a 100-quart cooler, I'd use at least 3, maybe even 4 bilge pumps; and I'd do some experimenting with using spray nozzles for watering shrubs by lawn irrigation systems. They should put out a much finer spray than holes drilled in pvc.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    sure i do works great hope it works great for you

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Just for thoughts you might want to add a vent to the cooler to vent amonia from the cooler, amonia builds up from what fish breath through there gills and there bodily waste, which in turn will cause what is called amonia or nitrile stress. High amonia levels will also deplete available oxygen.

6. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I use a 48qt ice chest for a removeable bait well. If you are just recirculating the water (not circulating fresh water), make sure that you open and close the lid fairly often or drill holes in the lid to allow fresh oxygen into the chest for aeration. I use a bilge pump for aeration in the ice chest and a seperate pump with vinyl tubing for filling/emptying the chest (not attached to the chest or boat in any way). In otherwords, I use the pump with tubing to get water from the lake into the chest and to change the water every few hours. I have the wiring connected to a 12v plug and plug it into an outlet when I need it. When I'm not using it, I store it in a compartment. The pump in the chest is connected via male/female quick disconnects (wal-mart, $2.36 for several pairs) to the boat wiring. Those quick disconnects are the only thing attaching the chest to the boat. Unplug the connectors and I can pull the chest out.

I hope that all made sense.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I have never used one before I would say they would work, I mean long as you have a good aerator in it, it should be able to keep the fish alive for a long time. I know of some people who has made them one out of it and likes them good. I hope when you make one that it works good for you, and you will be able to keep alot of bait fish in it.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    ONE WORD! LIBRARY. LOL! You will score in there.

9. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Picked up a 120 qt Igloo yesterday, now just to work on the plumbing and we'll be in business. Even though I loose some floor space, I gain storage area in the front.

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    :0a25:you will love it

11. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Have used a cooler when I bass fished in small tourneys in a flat bottom boat but have never tried to keep a cat in a livewell. I would suggest checking out the library. Some of these guys have some great ideas.

12. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Finally had some time yesterday, took my old "Rule" pump, re-worked the plumbing with a PVC bar with small holes drilled in it. Did a test on it, it sprays real good. Now just got to find a cat or 2 to put in it for the real test.

13. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Here's some shots of the well in place in the old tank

Attached Files:

14. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have one I made a long time ago and it works fine. Yours is top of the line for homemade. Just an idea, you may pick the pump up off the bottom to keep the pump from stopping up.

FireWater