Ice And Snow Sinks Docks

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Itch2Scratch, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Folks, I have been outside shoveling all this snow we recieved down here at LOZ. As I looked down towards the cove behind my cabin I noticed several docks underwater and some close to it. I guess this makes a good case for thicker encapsulated foam under your docks when you build them. I will try to get better pictures later after I get dug out. :crazy:

Attached Files:

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks for the pic , i love snow but all we are getting is 40 mph winds

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If you want some more we have 12-14" up here I'd be glad to send you.
    Thanks for thepicture that is some pretty scenry even though I hate the stuff.
    Your right looks like they need better floatation devices under their docks.

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    bummer for the dock owners...but man...that's a beautiful pic!

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hey Charles I sure wish I could send you some of this. Glad were not getting the wind though. If we did this stuff would drift so high we wouldn't get out till spring. Oh well could be worse. At least we still have electric 450.000 plus in St.Louis area doesn't.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Don`t want no part of any snow you guys can keep it:0010:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Ken

That's an awesome site, but I'm sorry for any damage. How much snow did you get down there? I saw some places had over 20" down in your direction.

We got off easy with about 5 inches at my house. Only 6 miles south they got a foot or better, and 4 miles north they only got a dusting.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    We had 7" in Lee's Summit; Dad had about 15" in Windsor. The TV said 24" in Tightwad.

Haven't talked to my sister in Warsaw yet to see what they got, but I'll bet it was every bit of 18 to 24"... Wish I could be there to sled down Schoolhouse Hill! Man, those were the days!

But instead we took the kids over to the dam at Prairie Lee Lake and they talked me into going over a ramp that had been built. Bad idea. I fell off the sled and slammed my back into the ground.:crazy: Can barely move now. I'm too old for this stuff...

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Gary it looks like 14-16" down here....Its been a long time since I have had to shovel this much snow...LOL...(I never thought I would ever say this after 16 1/2 years living up north) but, I WANT MY SNOW BLOWER BACK!...LOL No one has been able to get in or out of my area, the mailman didn't even show up...LOL.

I think this dock will have some damage.:sad2:

Attached Files:

10. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    You said it Ed! That's the good thing about Arkansas, we usually don't get a big snow like that. Sometimes, but not that often.
    (Of course the folks in notrhwest Arkansas are thinking I'm crazy right now.)

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

You took the words right out of my mouth

12. cougar

cougar New Member

State:
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    Ken,
    I'm a mailmain in Sedalia, this morning at 5:00 I got a call to standby. All of our and your mail is sorted in Columbia our trucks were stuck in Columbia and couldn't even get out of the parking lot, so I'm told, so we didn't have any mail to sort. Later in the day I went in to town to check on my mother and a friend that has worked as a mail carrier for 38yrs, he said he has never heard of this happening before. Tomorrow I am planning on picking him up on the way to work because he was stuck in his driveway before he even got his car completely out of the garage. We got about 16 inches here. I guess that old saying niether rain, sleet, or snow doesn't apply when you don't have any mail to work.

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    In Owasso we got 1 3/4 inches of ice, with 12 inches of snow on top of that.

Kids had a ball in it. I didn't go to work because my boss didn't want me to have to drive in from Owasso. She said she and her husband almost didn't make it home last night, they had several very close calls.

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Didn't even get 1 flake just NW of KC,dodged a bullet this time.

15. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    13 in my front yard been shoveling at work all day ,to clean parking lot and get the truck out for deliveries ,my boss is to cheap to hire a truck with a blade

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Thanks for the pictures they are truely beautiful but now you have me worried about my dock. I think your around Warsaw if I remember right and were up around Rocky Mount at the 5MM so I'm hoping we got less snow. All I can say about your pictures is, MORE! Thanks Ken!

17. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Bill sorry to tell this but you have need to be worried this time buddy...at least 14 marinas went under along with some of the DNR's boats! The DNR is asking that only emergengy craft be on the lake to keep from further damaging downed marinas, docks and boats. The snow is so deep they can't get to those places to evaluate everything. Many personal docks around here look like those you saw in the photos.

18. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Dang I wouldn't think that would hurt docks. I have had them drug out at ice out we also had the slide collars break off in high wind and waves and had squirrels chew holes in them to store nuts in.

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They say we got around 2 feet here in Warsaw. I know its over my knee high mud boots anyway.
    Finally got in my truck yesterday morning after about a hour of trying to get the door unfrozen. I had it locked and the key wouldn't work to open it. Pryed open the back window finally and crawled thru it. Still took a while from the inside to get the door to open. Ran it for a hour to de-ice the doors and winshield, then it was play time.
    Haven't had a chance to do some 4-wheelin in quite a while. Threw in a couple of log chains and went for a ride to help some people get out that where burried.
    Most of the drive ways had 2 to 3 feet of white stuff. Got to drag several cars out and run some to town for supplys they needed.
    Had a blast bustin some drifts and making trails on some gravel roads that no one had been down yet. Even got to drag out a chevy and a dodge that where stuck.:eek:oooh: I buy those big knobby tires for a reason... Around here it usally for mud though, havent seen a snow like that since I lived up north.
    Better get out there and play some more it won't last long....

20. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Had 12 to 13 inches, here bladed snow here ,for me and neigbors, tell 1pm.
    would hate to have to put a boat in, and sure glad didnt have any traps out.
    Troy sure wish you hadnt said, anything about a Dodge being pulled out, by a Ford. makes me feel bad. Have to go next door and pull one out, come to think of it its a dodge. two wheel tho.
    Jim