IAR Bearings

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by sirdank, Mar 25, 2009.

1. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have narrowed it down with my silvermax. The IAR bearing is slipping it doesn't look worn or damaged. How would I clean it?. I have had the reel apart. It is put back together so I don't forget where everything goes. And it is a fairly new reel maybe a year old. I did work it pretty good for bass, northern and crappied in minnesota for a week. Other thank that maybe 10 hrs a week at home. Thanks

Attached Files:

• abu.jpg
      abu.jpg
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
  2. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    Is that the sealed anti reverse (derectional) bearing?
    I can't find any Scamatics at mikes or abu, But if your sure it's that bearing I would call abu customer service and order a new one.
    abu's Customer Service # is on there website. If you can't get one from them use a pair of dial calipers and get the O.D., I.D. and the width and post them and i'll see if I have one.

3. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hi, SD....Where is it? It's not in the side plate. Where is the inner sleeve?
    It's not there either. They must be over on the bench getting ready for cleaning?

Still uncertain if the bearing is slipping in the hex housing, or is the sleeve slipping inside the bearing.

If the bearing is slipping in the hex housing, time for a new bearing and housing.

If the sleeve is slipping inside the bearing, you can use solvent, "brakeleen", lighter fluid, or some such, to totally de-grease the needles, and the sleeve.

Then, re-assemble dry, and just before you put the handle on, add one small drop of 3-in-one type oil, to that junction point between the sleeve and the bearing, and rotate a couple of turns, to get the oil dispersed.

Handle up, and give er a try. Hope this helps. KD

PS: remember to put the hex back for right hand operation. Did they use the INA a/r bearing from Germany ???? Please advise. Thanks. kd

PPS: Okie.. he has the schematic, complete with part numbers, etc. I sent it to him last week.

4. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    Where can I find the schematic? I may need it in the future.

5. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio !!.... send me a note, with an email addy in it, and I'll fire it off.
    I am far from pooter savvy, and do not know how to make a pdf file post here on the forum.

Best, KD.

MODERATORS !!!! PC GURUS !! Where do I learn how to do that?
    Is there a tutorial here on site somewhere?
    thx...kd

6. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    for some reason I didn't get it thru my e-mail but i found it on mikes reel repair
    "ambassaduer silver max 17 00"

It is a little greasy on the shaft you think if I cleaned it real well, then just a drop of oil should do the trick.

The problem is when i jig or jerk after i close the bail sometimes it will spin free. very frustrating!. Now that it is off the rod and no line on it I can tap firmly on the handle and sometimes it will reverse. Thanks guys

7. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio.... Ya..... as soon as I got it, I posted it to Mikes.
    I'm sure you will get it going soon !!!!! tight lines....kd