I wouldn't have believed it, had I not saw it

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Oct 30, 2005.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I was working today, and went to one of the boat ramps on the missouri river. I saw that there was a small catfish tournament going on today there on the river. One of the contestants pulled off the river early du to boat problems and told me weighins were at 3:00pm, I decided to stick around to see how these guys who fish tournaments had done. After all I was out on the river the last couple days, in the same general area, and hadn't had a bite.

First boat came off the water, turns out it was the host of the tournament. Said he only caught three small ones. Well I'm thinking to myself...hey this guy does this kind of stuff all the time, therefore if HE only caught three small ones, maybe It's not me, has to be the fish not biting...right!

Well I followed the 'ol boy to the parking lot and was bull-s**tin with him when the boats started come up....that's when I realized it MUST be me. These guys had live wells full of fish...not just 5-10 pounders, but fish that I would consider trophy size fish! One contestant needed two guys to get a MONSTER 80 pound :eek: cat out of his livewell!! Needless to say, I was awe stricken. He went on to tell me that he lost one that was bigger than the one he had pulled into the boat!! He was fishing by himself and he said that fish got caught up and tangled in his other lines that were in the water and that caused his line to break. The amazing thing is...he didn't win, he weighed in 3 fish for a total weight of 106 pounds. The winner weighed in a total of 6 fish with a total weight of 150 pounds!!!

These guys told me that they were using shad, which I use also. So...if we're using the same bait and fishing the same water, then WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING THAT I'M NOT?!! From the fishing results I've had recently, I would have told you that there aren't any dang fish in that river!! These guys sure proved that is not the case, there are fish...Good quality size fish!!

So if anybody wants to fish the missouri river....or any where for that matter...I am throwing out an invitation to anybody that wants to go out on a nice boat and maybe show me a trick or two, cause what I'm doing is not producing the results I'm after! :cursing:

Anyway, I guess I'm finished ranting and raving. The invite still stands! :D

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Wish I lived near ya man. Thats one heck of an invite!
    try posting here,some of the tactics and places(as not areas but what you look for) maybe one of the locals can help ya out.

3. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey river rat i know how you feel, this is brian huff remember when i saidwas

4. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well let me try this again, hey river rat this is clayton huff remember when i posted fishing the herman, mo area my computer was down so i had my brother type in the post and he signed his name at the bottom, dont why he did that. Any way i did make it down to herman on the 22 & 23, we fished in a us cats benfit tounyment. Prefished on saturday and did not get a single bite, sunday we caught one 1 1/2 pound channel. i to thought the fishing was tough and that the others where having a tough time also, boy was i wrong big fish was a 44 pound blue and there was a alot of 15 to 20 pounders wieghted in.

That was a long drive 250 miles one way just to get taught lesson but that way it goes. i talked to some of the guys after the tourny and they have gone up river from herman and the fishing is better, they also used fresh shad, not frozen or day old but fresh shad. we used two day old shad that i had on ice. The first thing i did when i got back home to learn how to throw a castnet now i can get my own fresh shad. iam hoping to get back down there some time next summer maybe we could hook up and go after some those big fish, up here in iowa we do not have blues and i would like to catch some. i know the key thing to do is have fresh bait and move, just got to find them.

clayton huff

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What's the law of averages? Fish only occupy 15% of any given body of water. Sounds like these guys have it narrowed down to 5%.

A good place to start. Dont fish any spots you have been fishing if they aren't producing the quality fish.
    Fishing starts well in advance of going to the river or lake.
    Around Monday I'll start formulating a plan in my head while on the way to and from work. By Wednesday I'll know for sure what body of water or portion of river I'm going to be parked on. By Friday my final piece of information is going to be about as accurate as it can get. The weather.

Friday night I'll sit down and formulate my "flight plan".
    I take my map and along with information I have gathered all week and what my knowledge tells me I start marking spots.
    I mark 6 spots that I know should hold fish based on conditions and or structure. Then I pick two throw away spots. Spots comepletely off the pattern I think is going to win it.

No matter the temptation once the hull hits the water I dont deviate from the "flight plan" The plan is your focus.

This method is the method I used competively bass fishing with a great deal success.
    It's how I could go to a body of water I never had fished or seen and place well into the money. It's not fool proof by any means but it builds your confidence, instills discipline, and makes you alot more observant of what's going on around you and in the water.

Other then that, lets face it, some folks are born with all the luck while the rest of us have to make our luck.

6. curtis keyes

curtis keyes New Member

i would like to go were ru located :0a22: :0a23:

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Mark J thats a good plan not far from what i do when i fish tournements ,i may also add ,in tournements i never spend long in one spot ,if the spot i am fishing does not produce a bite in 30 min. i move if they where there they would have bit by then

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It could also very well be that they just fished the same spots as you do different. Presentation is a big factor in catching fish....

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I never got to fish a lot during the summer as I normally do but I have been out a couple times the past month..I have tried everything and still I can not come up with any fish..went one time a while back and caught a 8 pounder but you guys talk about hitting places and preparation..I try to fish with at least 6 poles..I try to have two on the very bottom, 2 with corks to keep them off the bottom, one close to the bank and one on a ballon where I seen fish suspended and like Riverrat says..nothing..no takers at all. Met a guy out on the river a few weeks ago and fished all day and nothing. This is two times in a role that this has happen. I have used up most of my shad and only have one bag left. I sit there thinking what the hell am I doing wrong? but since I have not caught any fish I have not figured it out. To give you an example the last time I went out I fished the rip rap, up side of 3 dikes, mud banks, more rip rap and an impoundment that normally always gave up several 1 to 2 pound fish and nothing! I would try to follow some of these turney guys but with a 9.9 I dont think I can keep up.. See all kinds of fish on the finder with a lot of cover but no fish.. I'm going out this weekend and I hope I can get something..this is really getting old. I caught the heck out of eaters this spring but nothing in a while.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    On a positive note. You learned not what to fish Dave. To be good at anything you have to be willing to put in the time or be lucky enough to be good friends with someone that has put in the time. Although I have not been fishing in over a month the weather here has just been to nice. I know I for sure would not be hitting the winter holes yet. If I had the time I would start off fishing places where I got them this past spring.

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok I Can Tell You That I Have Found That Different Size Bait And Hooks Make The Different. And Everyday Can Be Different Hell It Will Change Doing The Day Too. When I Take Someone Out On A Guide Trip We Start With Cut Bait Three Sizes On Three Different Hooks.4/0 6/0 8/0 And Watch What Size Bait They Are Hitting That Day.
    Even With Dannys Catfish Bait I Use Three Different Size Hooks . If You Catch More One 4/0 The Move Them All To 4/0. As For Spots I Only Fish In One Spot For Around 45 Mins And If No Bites In 20 Mins Move On. As For Prefishing I Look For As Many Go Spots As I Can Find So I Only Fish One Place Like 30mins Tops Or Two Fish. Say I Stop And Catch Two Fish I Move On To Look Somewhere For More I Know The Fish Are There And Will Catch Them On Tournament Day Not In Prefishing.

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Prefishing and using good bait is key as well. Catfish move around as well, especially big blue cats. In the summer, finding good current helps a bunch.