I would like to get into trapping

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by field989, Jun 14, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i would like to get into trapping, and i have a few questions,

are duke traps good( i have heard that they are but i wanted to make sure)

i was thinking of starting out trapping coon and muskrat, are these good animals to start out trapping,

anything i should be aware of and check into before starting traping

also any tips or anything will be welcome

where can i find out about different trap sets and how to set them up

thanks Jeff

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I trap coon and i love it. Theres nothing like walking out and checking your traps to see what you get. I suggest Conibears 20/20's for coon, and i've heard that they also work pretty good for muskrat. I hope this helped a little.

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Jeff! Here's the best place to start http://www.indianatrappers.org/ , it's a $25 year membership, and you'll get a years subscription to the Trapper & Predator Caller magazine. Look on the ISTA site & see where the closest trappers education class is being held. Membership in your State Association will put you in contact with hundreds of local trappers who all share the same interest of trapping and are more than willing to share a wealth of information. Also, attend the State Convention coming-up in a few months in Bedford.....and tell the ISTA President (Lonnie Phillips) that Smitty said he's a knothead :wink: (lol, it's OK, we're buddies).

Before setting the first trap, BE SURE to get a copy of the Indiana Hunting & Trapping Regulations.

As far as Duke traps, they are the cheapest traps made, and you'll get what you pay for.....a cheap trap, and that is from my personal experience of having them fly-apart in my hand! Traps are like a mechanics tools....how many professional mechanics do you see use cheap tools? Spend an extra dollar or two & buy good traps!

Here's a link that will give you alittle info http://www.traps4kids.com/trappertips.html , they "push" Duke, simply because they get "freebies" from them, which IMHO is an injustice to young impressionable trappers.

I think BigCatDreaming meant to say 220's, which is too big for 'rats but fine for coon.

When 1st getting into trapping (in addition to the 1st things I mentioned in the 1st paragraph), read, research, and learn as much as you can about trapping. Once you get a basic foundation & understanding, then you can ask more specific questions about trapping, or targeting a specific animal.

If I can help in anyway, let me know. I see you're in east central Indiana, anywhere close to Anderson ?

Thanks!
    Smitty

4. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Congrat on a new endevor. I know 223smitty is going to disagree on me on this but we all have our own points of views. Duke traps are ok not the best traps in the world but they will do. It is just about all I use. I have been using some of these traps for eight years or so and never had aproblem. However there are better traps out there. I am going to slowly change out my traps with in the next few years to better traps. There are many ways to learn how to trap the best is to go out with someone that already knows. A good book that I use everyonce in awhile is Trapping North American Furbearers by S. Stanley Hawbaker. 223 recomended a great dvd and book to me Fur Handling 2000 by Hal Sullivan the later teaches you about putting up the fur. The people on this website are a good source to learn from. The best way to learn is to go out and do it. You can not get frustrated by this method because you are going to get alot of empty traps at first but you will develop skills that match your needs and then the animals will come. Dont hesitate to ask any questions on this site each one of us might not know everything but if you put all of our knowledge together it comes close. Goodluck.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    so what traps are good, i checked into that itsa thing and the trapper education, I am planning on goin to it, eventhough thats the day im supposted to get my license but that can wait, i was thinking of getting a subscription to trapper and preaditor caller for a while

also when u skin a animal with a tail do you strip the meat and stuff out of the tail,

again i dont know very much about trapping but it sounds like it will be fun

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I have always liked victor but of course i use duke. Maybe 223 can give you an idea what traps he uses. Then you can look up information on each trap and make a educated decsion dending on what you are looking to use them for and how much money you have to spend on them. Alot in a trap is how you take care of it. The fur handling part I will not answer as that I have just gotten into it but look on www.traps4kids.com they have a lot of information including some about fur handling.
    Stephen

7. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Stephen- lol....yes I disagree with you, but respectfully. If you use them & like them....I am certainly no one to tell you you're wrong for that. I just think they don't care about giving trappers a quality trap, and (as in their #11 which flew apart in my face) they produced a piece of junk....knew it....yet put it on the shelves to be sold to any unsuspecting trapper who'd buy them. This "soured" me towards the Duke Co., and I'll never buy another one, nor tell anyone they are worth the money.....they aren't. When you set a trap, you shouldn't be able to hold it & watch the frame bend & warp under the pressure of the springs......obvious use of inferior quality & material choice (thickness).

Jeff-For the initial animals you'd mentioned you plan to target (coon, 'rats, etc.) you can use coilsprings or longsprings. In a coilspring, a #1 to #1.5 would be the right size. In a longspring, it's hard to beat a #11. You may want to get a few of each to try. I like both in different situations. The coils are more compact & alittle easier to bed, but with the springs on the longs, they can be alittle more stable in certain situations. Either would work fine.

For 'rats, you want to drown them quickly, as they are bad about twisting in a trap, and can actually wring-off their leg. By setting them on a slide wire/cable, they can get into the water, but not come back up as the weight of the trap is too heavy for them to overcome.

In either style of trap, the "double-jaw" versions are good (which I use), but add alittle to the initial cost. As far as brand, I use the Sleepy Creek brand, but Victor, Bridger also make good quality trap. I may use 1 brand for smaller animals (as in the Sleepy Creeks), but a different for say coyote (I prefer Bridgers).

When you skin (depending on the animal) you split the tail a few inches & strip the bone from it with a "tail-puller". Once the bone is out, you split the skin open with a "tail-zipper" ("both these items I mentioned cost about $3 each). If a tail isn't deboned and split to dry, it will quickly begin to spoil & rot, which will rusult in losing hair (slippage).

If you join the ISTA....the subscription is included with your membership, (not sure if I made that understandable in my 1st reply). And you're right...trapping is fun, I enjoy it everyday during season, from being out in the snow, to watching the sun rise over it, to seeing all the deer, to making all the catches, to skinning them & taking them to the furbuyers......all the time wondering what it would have been like to live a couple hundred years ago.........

Smitty