I would appreciate some advice, please

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Defender, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    I have started collecting Penn conventional reels. Yes, I've been bitten by the bug pretty hard. So far I have a 209, a 140 Squidder, a 500 Jigmaster, a 285, and some others I haven't actually received yet.

When my Penns are ready to go, I will need to spool up with line. I already have some Power Pro in 65 lb test that I will put on my Ambassadeur 6500 C3. I just can't afford PP in the quantity I will need to fill these big Penns.

Catfish Supply Company has Stren Magnaflex advertised on Ebay for 3000 yards of 40lb for $9.95. That's certainly cheap enough, but is it a good line for chasing channels and flatheads? Is 40lb mono a good choice, or should I get something heaver?

My background -- I haven't done any serious fishing for several years, and I've never targeted big cats before now. I've always been oriented towards spinning rigs, but will be using these Penn rigs for the big cats.

Thanks for your help, everybody!

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Bob:

I also fish with Conventional Peens. I have all of mine rigged up with 40# Trilene Big Cat Line and it works fine. That Stren Line is good line and that is a Good Buy that you were talkin about.

Go for it:

Gene

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Wolf;
    Bob, I don't have any personal experience with anything but the Power Pro line and that is a darn good line!
    I think your on the right track and your making a good line choice because the brand your choosing is well known among many of our members.
    I've always advocated that picking out a line, Hook, Rod, Reel, and all is a very PERSONAL choice and that you should try as many combinations as you can until you find the one that works best for you!
    For the money, give that line a try. If it does NOT work out for you then you have not lost a lot of money and will be able to afford to try something else! :big_smile:
    Personally, I think you made a GREAT choice in the Power Pro line. I know that Whistler, one of our members and a Moderator too, also likes the 65# Power Pro and uses it exclusively on at least one of his Rod and Reel setups just as I do.
    If I may be of further assistance or help please let me know and I will gladly do whatever I can to help you as will 99%+ of our regular Brother's and Sister's too!:big_smile:
    Oh, I'm sure you have already been told but;:big_smile: I'm GLAD You joined US.:big_smile:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You can trust in Penn or you can trust a complete stranger.The choice is yours.

I have fished with Penn's for over 50 years now.I have used from 15 lb. on the smaller to 80 lb. on the larger.I started out with the old braid Dacron.I normally used mono.It is all whether you wanted a limp or stiff line in those days.There were no limp monos.Some still like Dacron and use it.You will never know until you use a spool.I have a uncle that bait casted 60 years with Dacron.I have been very happy folloring Penn's recommendations and most often disappointed when I did not.

Personally I never put over 20 mono on a 209 for my kids and visitors.I never used a Penn level wind until my hands crippled up.I have 30 lb. on a Penn 345 GTI and it is rated for 50 lb.Large or stiff lines don't work as well as smaller and limper lines on level winds in my belief and the factory reps agree.Now many users disagree.I used the larger and stiffer lines on the larger non level wind reels with great results.

Look it up on line.If you use the weight lines that Penn recommends for their reels you will be much more satisfied in my belief.Think!Who knows their reels best?Penn or some one who thinks that they know more than Penn and disregards their recommendations?The choice in advice is yours to choose.If you decide that Penn DON'T know their reels after all of these years,we have plenty available that can fix you right up with their modern technology,reasoning and intellect.

They are your reels and you should be satisfied.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    IMO your line has to fit the cover your fishing in. Your leader is important towards the bottom but your main line may or may not have a lot of cover to deal with.

For the most part any #20 mono with a heavier leader and the drag set properly will wear out and pull in most any fish.

Not many of use want to take that chance and go a lot heavier because of cover. Some fish have to be winched out of timber and #20 aint gonna do it.

I would take my smallest reel and fill it with your line in question. Buy the smallest roll for now. The #40 could be a fine choice but I would fill that small reel and put it to the test...big time. You will learn from getting snagged and breaking it loose ; )

To be honest I worry about my line breaking from snags more than a fish taking line and breaking it.

-Jim-

No one here can actually tell you what's gonna work for your lake. Your gonna have to test it out yourself. I hope this helps ya.

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I love the penn's and have fished with them from the age of 12 a#9 and i have plenty big ones and the largest mono i use is 30# after that they just do not cast well... and a 14 foot rod and 20lb line will snap the sinkers off when you whip it hard.....

I love my dacron I am out of it though .. it is expensive 80lb is what i use..but compared to mono, it is much cheaper in the long run...

I hate memory in the mono ..To the point that i will spend the money to have a line that will last for 20 years on my reel...

Dacron is more flexible than the power pro, I do use power pro..

There are many more braid strands in dacron than power pro about 3x as many

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In the early 60's I visited the place where Penns were made.They were very nice to a young sailor and took me around to see everything and answered all of my questions.They strongly emphasized to set the drags for 2/3 of the rated line recommendation.I have never forgot this.This keeps you from damaging the reel.If you have 100 lb. line on a 30 lb.recommended reel,set your drag for 20 lbs.This way you can pull or snatch,a thousand lb.shark can take the 15 lb fish on your 209,spool you and not damage your reel if you have a short piece of the 20 lb.MAX tied on your spool and your 100 lb tied to this with a slow fish.A Cat fish is a slow fish.A fast ocean pelagic fish will snatch it out of most hands.Now this was non level winds.

Level winds are a miracle!They should self destruct each time they are cast.They should be changed out regularly due to the strain and wear put on them.They are exposed to grit in the water and air.Level winds just take a beating each time they change direction suddenly at high speed.Even casting is a horrible strain at that instant that it has to stop and instantly change direction!It has to stop before it changes direction each and every time!Some of the ocean fish swim at speeds approaching 50 MPH.You best have your reel tied off to the boat when fishing with 30 lb.line if you are spooled and your line is tied to the reel.If you don't believe me ,just put 20 to 50 lbs.in the back of a pickup,tie your line to it and have someone take off to 30 mph.which is slow for some fish.It will teach you a lesson.

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

8. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    You guys are amazing! This is really helpful advice.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU VERY MUCH!

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    IMHO 40 pound line is plenty. I don't know anything about Magnaflex, but I use Stren line (Stren Original) and it is good stuff.

For cats on my baitcasters, I love Big Game.

10. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use big braids 65lb to 100lb not for the strength but for diameter..too small and it will cut back through the spool ...and i never set my drag too tight.. I will let them run and tire out a little. If i start to run low on line i will turn up the drag and put the strain on the fish..Open water of course..

it gets more drag around structure

There were many times on eufalla lake in a hard to start boat that my cousin ran out of mono even 40lbon his 7000 amb.

If you get a hold of a huge fish you cant turn it ...He will stop when he is good and ready ...

My cousin now uses 15lb on that 7000 and . and hasn't lost a big one yet

It is real neet to see 300yrds of 80 lb dacron pulled off to the knot:eek:oooh:pOW like a 22 short