I won't be long!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by kycatman01, May 24, 2009.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey, guys! I can't wait to go bowhunting this year!! I didn't get to last year because I ruptured my bicep. I have already shot a little and I can pull my bow fine. Anyone else kind of "on pins and needles" so to speak?

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We can plink does with bows starting in September in most of the cities in VA. My brother is seriously infested with the whitetailed plague. We must all do our part. I can't wait.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    yes i have the itch, last weekends od september for kansas two.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have had the fever since last bow season ended! it will be here before you know it though, don't lose hope! i have a new bow i am really good with, can't wait to go out and stick something.

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    yup...I'm almost out of deer jerky.:sad2:

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like this will be the first season I've missed in 34 years. I think it's time to hang it up. :sad2::sad2:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I wouldn't get up out of the electric chair to hunt deer with a bow, since the introduction of modern firearms! :wink::eek:oooh::wink: Seems odd to use antiquated technology, when there are such easier ways to dispatch game. I guess it's the "challenge" aspect, kinda like noodling catfish. I know you guys enjoy it though, and I have NO problem with it, just not for me. Have fun and stay safe.

Bill in SC

8. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    tes it is a challenge but the timing is whats great!! that time of year is when deer can be patterned and located easier than ever!! you can almost set your watch by them if you dont screw it up!! lol

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Bill! You haven't seen the real effectiveness of Archery equipment!! I can guarantee you that I can take down game just as well with stick and string>vs. the modern firearm. Only setback is the distance factor! Close and personal and YES! the challenge factor!! Sure, you have to practice proficiently with the bow to be good, but that's the fun of it!! Yeah! A real challenge to kill an animal at a 100-200 yds with a rifle! LMAO! Be there done that!! Now I want the real challenge. Archery!!

Not to offend rifle hunters!! I'm just backing up my Archery credentials!!:wink:

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    For me at least, part of it is seeing the deer up close and personal, acting naturally , not a$$holes and elbows running for the next piece of cover. Outsmarting a deer that is doing what it WANTS to do not what it NEEDS to do. Another thing is that not just any Joe Schmoe off the street can successfully and ethically harvest a deer with a bow. It takes skill to get the job done. Its harder and takes more effort for sure but the reward is that much sweeter. Few yahoos (there are still some and Im not saying all rifle/shotgun hunters are yahoos) out in the woods messing me up walking in at the prime time after I get set up 2 hours before the ass crack of dawn. I feel archery hunting makes you a better all around hunter in general because you have to be in tune with nature and what is going on around you much more than just parking your caboose on a trail, lighting up a smoke and waiting for the crashing sound. You have to think like a deer and adjust for changes, even from hour to hour not just day to day or week to week. There is just something that gets me about seeing a horned up buck during the rut chasing a doe into your "zone", thick necked and wild eyed that gets my blood pumpin. You just dont get that from rifle/shotgun hunting.

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I kill more deer with the bow than the deer rifle. As soon as rifle season comes around, every deer runs and hides and don't move until after it's over. You can have rifle season, I'll take the other 3.5 months of season and hunt with my Mathews. :wink:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    In our state, dog driving is allowed. I enjoy surrounding an area with club members, and unleashing the hounds to drive 'em out. Everyone on a "stand" uses buckshot. Even if you don't get a shot, you usually hear a good race. From a an excitement aspect, that gets the blood pumping! Shooting a running deer with a shotgun is quite challenging as well. Any way you do it, it's ALL fun, and venison is quite tasty!

Bill in SC

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia

Some call that hunting......some, not so much! I love to hear dogs run, but I ain't so crazy about shooting game over them. I spent 20 years raising and running bear dogs, but I have never shot a bear. :wink:

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Not to be an A-HOLE, shooting at a running deer, is about as unethical as one can get. From my experience of listening to my cousin's shotguning experience from deer drives, they injure more deer than ethically taking. Not to say my cousin is a good shot or not, but I would sooner take a shot at a deer in a relaxed state than take a shot at a deer in a adreniline rush!! Not for me!!

Think I sayed something like this last fall during deer season in a post!!:roll_eyes:

15. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    To each, his own. For me, I'll stick with my carbon projectile.

16. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wouldn't get caught dead hunting without a bow.I'll leave the firearms to the kids that don't have the patience to "hunt" the animals they are after.Hope i didn't step on any toes!!:smile2:

17. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I love archery hunting but I still like rifle season too.

In archery season, I dont want to see another person, hear another person, know another person exists. I dont hunt public land and Im the only person archery hunting 99% of the farms I hunt. Its a solo thing that HAS to be solo for me. Getting around other people in archery season just distracts me and I cant take it. A few of my friends archery hunt as well and we will do some early scouting together to get different viewpoints. Sometimes they will notice things I dont, sometimes the other way around. But when it comes down to the hunt, Im a go-aloner. Leave me alone to my ways and my routines and I wont forget a step or get distracted and make stupid mistakes.

Now for rifle season its a different story. Its not as much about the hunt come that time of year, its more about the companionship. We get together and BS and have a good time and kill some deer in the process. After the first couple days its hard to get deer moving without putting on drives anyhow.

Just my take.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    to each his own; i'll back any hunter 110% as long as they follow the law. bow season is coming, and rifle season is right behind it, wohoo! i am ready to rock now with the new bow, been shooting almost every day.

19. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great imput, guys!! Good luck this year and be safe!!

20. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I cannot wait for bow season. I am going to miss the first Tenn bow season, but I will make it back in mid October. I missed most of bow season last year due to training and honestly haven't shot a deer with a bow in years. I have shot quite a few with muzzle loader and gun. But just haven't gotten a chance to bow hunt much. I bought the new Ross bow last year and took it out probably 5 times. It shoots real well just didn't get within range of any nice deer. I am looking for for someone with access to private land or even someone who knows some good spots on public land in Kentucky or Tenn when i get back. Anyone know of any? I am a respectful hunter and will follow your set rules. Well must go for now. SGT Shorey over and out. 103 days or so and I will be stateside:big_smile: